Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4

/ Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4 #11  
What did you ever do about tires for this? How did things wind up?

/ Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4
New inner tube and boot patch currently. Still working on getting larger tires

Ok, after looking at several Ford 7710 IIs FWA on Tractor House, bit serums that the most common tire size is: Rear- 18.4x34 and Front- 13.6x24

I called a company called Unverferth Mfg. And they were very helpful. They can build wheels to accommodate these tires. He asked me what width I wanted my rear tires to be.

What is the standard on this? What width (center to center) would you want the rear tires (18.4x34) on a Ford 7710 II to be? Thanks

/ Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4 #14  
Not sure if I mentioned this before but I would just buy a used set of 7710 wheels. There are tractor junkyards all over the Midwest and there is a big place in Texas that I forget the name of. Maybe it's Abilene Machinery. Ford --in alt least the 5000 series uses a slightly different bolt pattern --not sure on the 7710--so used wheels are the cheap and easy way out. Buy four and ship by truck at the same time.

I have had Unverferth make wheel centers for me and it's pricy. Absolutely perfect workmanship and worth it but pricy.

Sixdogs, I'll keep checking on used tires. The two Ford Salvage Yards I called today acted like they almost never get rear wheels for 18.4x34 tires.

Here are some specs for my tractor. ( tractor and front axle). The question I cannot seem to find the answer to is: Is a rear tire (18.4x34) and a front tire (13.6x24) combination appropriate for my particular tractor?

/ Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4 #16  
You need to go to a tire shop and find out the "front axle ratio". They have a book that gives that number on all tractors and from that you can divine how the front tire will pull in relation to the back. The number might be in that code on the above plate but I don't know how to read it. A shop manual at a New Holland dealer will also likely contain the info. My 85 HP 5520 Deere was around .74.

I have the math on how to use that data with the rolling circumference of tires and how to compute the correct tire sizes. I'll look for it and post it but I got it from a Firestone tire book. You want the front to "pull" the back from around 2% more to maybe 4% or 5% more.

Another good choice is to simply go with the tire combo offered when the tractor was new. I think it's 18.4-34 rear, as you state and the front sounds correct as well. They made a lot of these and they were likely all the same. Wheels should be no problem. Tires on those used wheels will all likely not be good or the tractor would not be up in a boneyard in the first place. You'll likely have to find used tires separately at a tire shop or just pony up for new ones.

Tires are not cheap but it pays to buy good ones. I like Firestones because I've never had a problem with them and I like the tread pattern and tread depth. They seem to out pull other brands. For radials they are excellent as are Michelin but I don't have experience with them.

This is an easy project. Find the wheels, sandblast and paint and then wait for the tires to find you. Life is to short to not have what you want.

After all that, tires and wheels are a subjective thing when it compares with raising and paying for a family and all that goes with it. There are priorities and you could easily spend a couple or a few thousand dollars without a lot of trouble.

Do you see any advantage to jumping on up to 38 on the rear titles rather than just 34? Currently my tires are 30s.

/ Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4 #18  
Tire size is horsepower related and I think your 7710 is 80 HP or so. That would probably equate to an 18.4 x 34 rear tire. I don't know if they came with a narrower 38" tire but my guess is that they did not. Too big a tire boggs the tractor down and can lead to other issues.

I saw a much bigger 9000 series Ford tractor recently and that size came with 38's.

/ Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4 #19  
I don't know if they came with a narrower 38" tire but my guess is that they did not.

Yes they did nearly all british ones had 16.9x38 and if I remember correctly 13.6x28 They do drive much better on this set up , faster , more grip and ride smoother and look far more fitting on the tractor

Attachments

• ford-7710-serie-ii,34f382fd.jpg
    ford-7710-serie-ii,34f382fd.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
   / Need tire/wheel suggestions on my Ford 7710 4x4 #20  
D7E...I could see a 16.9 x 38 and that would work. I would say that an 18.4 x 38, however would be more than the tractor could make efficient use of and would be more typical of the setup I have seen on the 9000 series Fords. That was the standard rear tire for them. The 16.9x 38 would likely be more of a row crop option because they would fit better through 30" rows of corn or other crop. In a row crop setup traction and lugging power is not so much the desire as is the ability to fit through a crop. There are probably a lot of tire options that were used on the 7710. I fact, the rolling circumference of the 18.4-34 and 16.9-38 are only an inch apart.

As long as you match the front to the back you can fit all sorts of combos. In fact, I would like to find a small compact tractor--cheap--and put a much taller set of tires on it to increase crop clearance. Then I could add a Cole side dress unit to it and have a dedicated "high(er) crop" fertilizer tractor without spending a fortune.

Sounds like you're getting it narrowed to what you want and that's a good thing. Whatever makes you happy is what works. I'll add I wouldn't mind having a 7710 for myself...they are a great tractor and you're fortunate to have one in such good condition. :)