Best sqaure balers?

/ Best sqaure balers? #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Certain brands and attachments over time develop a reputation as being the best you can buy. I was wondering what you folks consider the best (most reliable, best knotting, fastest) small sqaure baler available to a guy today?

/ Best sqaure balers? #2  
The general consensus is that NH and JD have the best balers. The basic design for small square balers hasn't changed for many years.

Personally, I'm a NH guy and like the 316, 326, and 570 models. There is lots of info on small square balers in the implements section at ytmag. Just do a search on "NH Baler" and you'll have many hours of reading enjoyment.

Yesterday's Tractors

/ Best sqaure balers? #3  
I agree, my experience has been JD and NH are heads and shoulders above all the rest. I have used both balers allot and there are differences between the 2. These are the high and low points based on these experiences.

Knotter I'd say the 2 are equal
Thrower -For small narrow fields or across side hills JD. For hilly terrain that you go up and down - NH
Bale form and shape - JD
Durability - Equal
Speed - Equal

After using both for many years my personal preference is the Deere.

/ Best sqaure balers? #4  
I prefer JD balers. Our was a 328 and worked really good. It tied nice tight packed bales and they can keep their shape for a really long time. We just sold some hay out of our hay barn and the bales were in really good shape. The hay was over 6 years old.

/ Best sqaure balers? #5  
I agree with Nick. I really like our deere balers. But a good used NH is not a bad unit either. Where we are there are few and far between Nh dealers. There are alot of deere dealers.

/ Best sqaure balers? #6  
I am with Richard on JD. We have a JD kicker and a NH. The NH is also good. We have NH and JD dealers close by.

The JD kicker can be very dangerous. The hydraulic mechanism packs a tremendous amount of thrust, enough to kill you if the safety isn't set. Our NH is chute delivery. Much safer.

Any square bailer is dependent on a good, well maintained knotter. I never try to adjust a knotter myself, I call the respective technician for that brand.

Newer version of the NH can be had with a kicker of sorts too. The bale is ejected through a set of belts that increase it's velocity and throw it.

As our fields are flat and the following wagon is always attached, we mostly use the NH or the JD with the chute attached and the thrower removed.

/ Best sqaure balers?
I'm thinking I'll buy a used baler in good shape this summer or fall. Won't be any need for a kicker. Just a wagon hitch. I have always heard NH and JD were the best. Just wondered what particular models I am likely to run into out there and which were best. Some of the older balers are good balers, but don't have the speed of the newer ones. Whatever I but I want to get fast and dependable. Right now we use an IH model 46. It gets the job done, but if you tighten the bales very tight it pops the string or pulls the knot apart plus you have to go kinda slow. Missed a bet on a used NH last fall for $4500. Didn't even have the paint worn off the pickup.

/ Best sqaure balers? #8  
It probably pops a twine because you don't have the tension right, and if it mis-ties, that's a knotter adjustment.

Square bailing isn't fast anyway. You can only go as fast as your stackers can stack, or the beer holds out!!

/ Best sqaure balers?
You can only go so tight with the tension and then it will pop the string. I only have $350 in it so i can't expect much. We've baled about 10000 bales with it so I geuss you could say it's paid for itself. I know they make balers that are a whole lot faster than the IH I have. Old fellow down the road traded and got a newer NH and he can fly with that thing. I just wanted an idea what models to look for when I start my shopping around. I already know it will be JD or NH. My pickup width is so small it really keeps you slowed down staying on the windrow good.

/ Best sqaure balers? #10  
Well myself I'm partial to my old IH 430. It does a better job then my neighbor's Deeres,NHs,and MFs. I just wish it had the wider pick-up of the 440. The commercial hay guys that grow for the US racehorse market have all gone to the Hesston inline small square balers around here.