Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage

/ Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #1  

Twinkieflyer

Tractor
Deere 5085M, Kubota L3540HSTC
OK, it doesn't make sense for me to bale my own hay, probably only generate 3-400 bales a year. The problem is, if I get someone to do it for me, they have to get theirs done first, so it goes late. I don't blame them, but meanwhile my hay degrades.

So, Looking for a baler that works when I want it to, and locally I ran across a Deere 457 Silage special with wrap. Now I didn't plan on either of those options. But the price and age is right. A buddy told me not to buy a silage baler because it had a whole lot more parts to break. Also, I didn't need wrap since I store inside and I don't sell hay.

There are not any other other balers locally unless I want something really beat up or 20 or more years old.

Should I keep looking, was looking for a 740NH but nothing around. Are my friends concerns about wrap and silage valid?

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
   / Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #2  
The key is works when I want it to.
Just buy new,
EVERYTHING used may need some work.
New balers are good for 10000 or more rolls,

/ Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #3  
Either of those baler would do a good job for you. The concern would be if the silage baler had a chopper but that JD 467 does not.

/ Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #4  
It can be more difficult to find used 4' round balers then full sized balers. I am assuming tractor limitation is why you are looking in that route. If that is not a concern you will probably find more choices in the 5' round baler world. If cared for properly then it is not unheard of for late model round balers to be able to pump out 30,000 + bales in thier lifetime. Good luck.

/ Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #5  
It can be more difficult to find used 4' round balers then full sized balers.
In Wyoming maybe. In our part of the world 4' is just as, if not more, common as 5'.

Last edited:
   / Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #6  
So you are not limited by tractor size, or just prefer 4' bales?

/ Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #7  
We looked at some used a few years back. They seed to be good balers. Just look them over good. Anything can break. Wound up with a used Vermeer Rebel because of age and pricing. Could buy a newer low bale baler for same money as an older deere. Any of the top 3 NH JD or Vermeer I don't think you could go wrong if everything checks out.

/ Need a First Round Baler Considering 467 silage #8  
I bale around same if have a good year and bought new Vermeer Rebel 5410 with net for 23.