Oxy/Acetylene

/ Oxy/Acetylene #1  

Wingnut

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 GST
I know some of you tinkerers must have cutting implements of destruction ... and I was curious about whether it's better to buy or lease cylinders.
I've had a cutting torch kit packed away since I got it for Christmas 6-7 years ago ... and I'm finally getting my shop up to the point where I might be able to do some work besides building and equipping the shop. And now that I've got my arc welder set up and bought a mig ... it's time to think about hooking the gauges and hoses to something.
Back in Alberta, before I left 3 years ago ... you could finally buy your own cylinders and get them filled easily (previously you could only lease). Here in Michigan, I haven't yet checked it out ... but I'll assume I can do either ... but would appreciate some of the invaluable opinions you guys always share

wingnut

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Oxy/Acetylene #2  
Wingnut, I haven't checked into the differences in pricing lately, but the last I knew, if you were a welding shop using a lot of gas, the lease was good, but for an individual you were ahead to own your own bottles. Everyone I know of my neighbors, who have gas welding rigs, owns their own. I happen to have an even cheaper deal; free. The rig in my shop is actually owned by my brother./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif However, I do pay to get the bottles refilled occasionally.

The main reason it was more expensive for individuals to lease was that there was a monthly (or annual) rental fee whether you used any gas or not.

Bird

/ Oxy/Acetylene #3  
Like Bird, I haven't checked the price lately, but when I bought my bottles about 4 years ago I could have rented or bought. I paid about $80 (I think) each for 40 cu ft bottles. I figure the bottles will be permanent in my shop, so why rent when you can own them?

/ Oxy/Acetylene #4  
Same here, its cheaper to own than to rent. I got mine at an auction for $40.00 about 15 years ago. When you go to refill them they just exchange them for bottles that are already filled. This is great because you never have to recertify them. I just ask for ones that have a fairly new date on them, as I might not get new ones for a few years.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Oxy/Acetylene #5  
Have you considered using propane. At times I would go through a couple medium size bottles a month. A 15 lb propane tank will last me for months. Requires different cutting tip.

/ Oxy/Acetylene #6  
A lot of years ago, I leased bottles and it drove me crazy paying the rent. Then I got ut of it for a few years. Then, when I decided to get back into the shop, I purchased bottles. That was in Virginia. Then I moved to Calif. In CA, you can't own bottles but one of the supply places traded my bottles in for a prepaid 99 year lease. I think that should cover me. I say definitely go for purchase if possible.

Larry...

/ Oxy/Acetylene #7  
Wingnut,
You may find it cheaper to own than to lease for your own use w/in a year, thats if your useing the standard size cylinders not so call back pack type.

By the sounds you going to have a grand of setup when all is said and done.

Have you try those magnets that hold steel in place yet,for they have 22,45,90 degrees sides..they sure are handy when welding.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Oxy/Acetylene
thanks for the feedback ... pretty much as I'd though ... unless you use a lot it's better to own the bottles Now if I can just find a cheap source for bottles ... heh heh.

Lens ... can you tell nme a bit more about using propane. I've used an oxy/acetylene torch a few times in the past ... but until your previous post (I think it was yours) I'd never heard of using propane. I assume you're talking Oxy/Propane? Does it burn as hot? Why propane - cheaper, better, cleaner, ?? I'm always open to new ideas!

thanks again!

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Oxy/Acetylene #9  
Wingnut, my first gas rig was oxygen/MAPP gas and now I've forgotten what that MAPP acronym stood for, but it was a mixture of propane and something else. I was living in town and kept it in an attached garage, so the dealer told me the MAPP gas was safer than acetylene because it smelled so bad that you would notice a leak long before it reached explosive levels - something that may not be the case with acetylene. And I used it both for cutting and welding. And now I have a farmer neighbor who has a fair sized gasoline powered arc welder on a trailer along with his oxygen bottle and plain propane for cutting. And I've watched both him and my brother do some pretty heavy cutting with it, and unfortunately they both do a much smoother, prettier job than I do with any kind of cutting torch./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif The neighbor tells me using propane is much cheaper and works just about as well.

Bird

/ Oxy/Acetylene #10  
About a $100.oo apiece in okla.Throw the empty on the dock roll a full one in the truck your out-a-here!A short gas bottle should last about 2 times as long as a tall oxy. bottle,a little lighter to push around too.