combination tedder/rake

/ combination tedder/rake #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
First, has anyone used a combination tedder/rake? What do you think of it (good/bad pts)? I've heard good things about them *but* nothing from someone who actually owns/operates it.

So far I've only dicovered one I can use (Kuhn GRS 25) w/ my TC24D. While Im sure the Kuhn is a great attachment the price seems really high ($4500). Does anyone know of other mfgs who make this attachment w/ a 15-20hp power requirement?

/ combination tedder/rake #2  
The first combination unit was the PZ360 tedder/rake. This unit rakes to the left with the hay being deposited to the side of both baskets. This side delivery is helpful if a late cutting is thin and you want to turn windrows together. With the Kuhn GRS-25, this unit rakes to the center of both baskets. This creates a problem if you have thin hay because it will take 2 passes to combine 2 windrows. You can combine 2 raking swaths on a side delivery with one less pass down and back delivering the hay into one windrow.
The GRS-25 rakes 11'2" and tedders 9'10" and does a good job.
You will also find you can purchase a new 17' tedder for $2,000+ and a new 20' Wheel Rake for $1,800+ and save time with these larger single purpose units.

/ combination tedder/rake #3  
Our fault with the combo units are the reliabilty. Our tedder is probably used more than the rake, but our rake is a have to work piece of machinery. If I have a break down on the tedder it will still cure altough it may cost me a day or so extra. We also prefer a side delivery rake because of the same reason. The raking tractor only has to pull around the rake so I don't have to rely on a pto. With the way the weather is around here and the amount of hay I put up with only two people I can't afford breakdowns since the closet dealer is 40 miles and usually don't have what you need anyways. This usually works for us but we are a little on the conserative side.

Patrick

/ combination tedder/rake #4  
hey CCI,

You're wrong on the Kuhn. I have one,really good unit. It rakes to the left not the center.

Mine is pretty heavy not sure if a CUT could pick it up.

/ combination tedder/rake #5  
Yep the GRS-25 will side delivery. I was wrong.
<font color="red"> From Kuhn's website </font>
<font color="blue"> GRS Tedder / Rake Combination
Three-point mounted - versatile operation - quick and easy to adjust - centre (GRS 24) or side (GRS 25) delivered swaths - height-adjustable wheels. </font>
If I wanted a rotary rake I still would purchase a rotary rake and a large tedder. The 17' tedder and a rotary rake can be purchased for less than $4,500. Rotary rakes are primarily used in Alfalfa but can be used with any type dry hay.

/ combination tedder/rake #6  
Cheapest hay rakes available on the net can be found on
http://www.agri-supply.com/catmain/2000015.htm

I'd recommend you to wait till the Spring season and bookmork Agri-Supply site - You don't know what new items will be available tomorrow from them - Another rotary rake too may be available from them in the Spring... Agri-Supply co. are the best sniffers of available and coming products in the world and of the implement market of the world. Since they also sell direct in retail end "same" items can't be purchased for lower prices than their retail stores.

/ combination tedder/rake
Thanx for the replies...good information and food for more thought. CCI, you're right about cost. Its less $$$ to aquire 2 pieces of equipment (tedder and rake) than a combo. Too bad about that b/c hauling one attachment to the job site would be far easier. I suspect they wont be terribly popular b/c they seem only useful for smaller scale operations.

Poorboy, Yes, I did consider the consequences of a break down. Dont you think though if the equipment is maintained right along the probability of a break down is pretty small? I do understand your comment about being conservative though. In my case, since fields arent close the equipment, hauling one attachment is a huge asset.

Woodbeef,
How long have you had it? I assume you bought it new? Are you using it for both functions or as a tedder and pinch hit rake? How big is your field(s)?

BTW I dont think you should have trouble picking it b/c even my small tractor is rated for a bit more than half a ton on the 3pt.

I really liked the GRS24 but was told by my Kuhn dealer they dont make it anymore. Too bad b/c it would have been ideal for my situation despite the high cost.

/ combination tedder/rake #9  
Dont you think though if the equipment is maintained right along the probability of a break down is pretty small?

I would say this is absolutely not true. Even the best maintained and brand new equipment fails. Out of all the farming that we do hay equipment we have to work on the most and we try and have fairly new equipment all the time that is meticulously maintained.

Your answer is a bit surprising. Whats your down time as a percentage of working time?