Mini Hay Balers

/ Mini Hay Balers #11  
Sure perimiter permanent fence make sense. But if you are also going to cut these fields why not use movable fencing inside of each field? You are only raising feeders which can easily be trained to electric fence(which you have already eluded to) and will be marketed at what 18-24 months of age maximum? As long as you figure out to move them before the feed is gone you should have no troubles. It works for buffalo,so why not cows? The whole secret to rotational grazing is not to over graze the fields,and move the animals before they move themselves.

/ Mini Hay Balers #12  
Although you're already set up Ed other people might not be. There is a program with the government called EQIP. They will help you setup a rotational grazing system like this and pay you to put the ground into a rotational grazing system for 10 years. We recently put 1800 acres into this. They paid 50-75% cost share on watering systems, building four ponds, all of our fencing, all of our planting, liming, and fertilizer, and weed control. Then for putting it in the program for 10 years they paid us $40/acre plus a sign up bonus. YOu can't raise crops on this grazing ground but you can hay it as long as you include it in your grazing system. The only thing I would ad to what Ed said is to put out protein tubs. With the protein tubs you will get much better gains. There are organic protein producers out there so you can use the protein tubs and still maintain your organic status.

The only downside to this is if you are a big producer. It's not too difficult to find a market for a limited # of cattle but for alot of cattle it's more difficult and time consuming. You have to dedicate a good amount of hours to the rotational system. As with all things business related the extra costs, decreased gains, increased labor, etc. all has to be figured in. When we've done the math it works out about the same. Where it's going to pay is if you really can get more cattle on the same # of acres. We're working with the local university on a research project. We've detailed records before we started the rotational grazing and now with it we'll see where the bottom lines are. Hopefully it will be as good as the claims. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Mini Hay Balers #13  
Cowboydoc.. is that EQIP program at the state level.. or national level?

/ Mini Hay Balers #14  
EQIP is a federal program but it's distributed at the local, county, level.

/ Mini Hay Balers #15  
It seems you are quite familiar with the livestock game.

I just don't see those mini round balers as being very efficient or ecconomical. To manuver, you are bound by the pto knuckles, the slightly smaller baler won't manuver all that much better. You will use more twine or netwrap on smaller bales. You will spend a lot more time transporting to your storage & feeding locations - time is money. They cost more that a good used 5x6 round baler, and you can get a good used 100 hp loader tractor to handle the bales (and baler) for less than your compact tractor cost. You'll be stuck with a round baler with limited resale & parts availability - which can be real costly in making hay.

I can understand the part of selling to horsey people, can be profitable if you find that market & offer a unique & desiarable bale to people with disposable income, but if you primarily will be using the hay yourself, it would be much more ecconomical & timely to get a bigger slightly used setup for the same money - it will run cheaper while you own it, and can be resold for about what it cost you, little depreciation.

Just my opinion.

--->Paul

/ Mini Hay Balers #17  
I don't want to start a flame war so Richard, don't take this wrong or Woodbeef either, for that matter.

Horse people.....I hate to sell them hay. They, for the most part don't have the slightest inclination what good hay as it relates to horses is. Not only do they, in general, buy hay for their animals that is too high in alfalfa content, they want dairy quality hay for a bargain basement price.

I also get a charge of the John Lyons type in the Wrangler jeans and western coat looking at hay that is so high in moisture content that the center of the bale is probably over 100 degrees and thinking how they can screw the seller down to that low price. Just the type of forage to feed an idle horse. No wonder large animal veterinarians all seem to have good practices. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I much rather deal with livestock operations. Livestock operators know the value of good forage and are willing to compensate you for it.

If anyone thinks it's cute and/or profitable to roll mini-bales and sell them to horsey people, I have a seat on the next space shot available for the small price of a million bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mini Hay Balers
Woodbeef

Yes, the cross fences are used to control the grazing process. My cross fences are T-posts with double hot wires and by most accounts are considered somewhat movable. The idea of using T-posts is to section off equal sized areas for paddocks. For additional control or to change the grazing pattern in a paddock, I'll use the little step-in posts with a hot wire as you suggest.

I'm also able to use cross fencing to keep the cattle out of certain areas like wood groves which are also personal woodlots, and out of swampy areas. Nothing better than cutting up trees while wading through a year's worth of cow pies. Also, its very important to keep cattle away from dried wild cherry tree leaves because they contain cyanide. In both the woodlot and swamp areas the cattle like to lounge around while making a concentrated manure mess.

Cowboydoc

I've heard about the EQIP program, but thought it required a large amount of acreage in order to participate. There hasn't been much discussion about the program at the cattle meetings I've attended here. Usually, I'm not one to look to the government for funding anything, but as you know, putting in large rotational grazing facilities involves investing a serious amount of money. That's one of my main reasons for using an experimental approach. You know the old adage, "If you want to make a small fortune in the cattle business -- start with a large one." I'd like to only lose my t-shirt and not the entire shirt off my back.

Do you know why Uncle Sam is so interested in supporting rotational grazing programs? Does the USDA feel guilty? Is the government trying to make ranchers and non-grain producers feel better, and make up for years of giving most of the subsidy money to grain commodities and other agribusiness special interests? Are they working with the FDA on the national obesity problem or what? I expect that folks like Dekalb, ADM, and Monsanto won't be too supportive of rotated grass finished beef programs. Other than a 10-year requirement, what are the other strings? I think the CRP was a 10-year program, but had several strings attached. For EQIP, do you have to pledge your first born to the feds? Does it sound like I'm looking for some catch in my government's EQIP program? I have no problem with the 10-year commitment. One doesn't make a sizable investment and expect to be out in the short term. Like you, I plan to be in it for more than 10 years anyway.

I've looked at the big producer issue. I'm somewhat lucky in that I live within 500 miles of 70% of the US population and lots of big city snooty restaurants. Also, I live close to some well-heeled communities where they are very health aware and strongly support local agriculture producers. Both the restaurants and the clientel want what you have.

Are you BQA licensed or do you private sell or participate in any of the special beef sales? Do you use a cattle sale broker? With 1800 head on graze, I'd bet you a cold drink on a hot day that you could increase your average sale prices by at least 4%-5% just by being BQA licensed. At least those are the numbers presented by the USDA experts around here and backed up by BQA stocker sales to feedlots, mostly in Pennsylvania. Conversations I've listened to suggest that the same numbers, and better, carry over to pasture finished cattle. Special sales and brokered deals can probably generate even better prices.

Its been my observation that most rotation-grazed pasture finished beef cattle aren't seen or sold at your local sale barns or stockyards. If you are grazing those 1800 critters in Iowa, I'd seriously doubt the buyers from IBP would do much better than normal fat cattle prices. Has it been your experience that the big packing house buyers from Sioux City, KC and elsewhere are paying top prices for high quality cattle? Or do they have their hand on your wallet like they did when we operated our feedlot? If so, put 'em in a panic by casually letting them know that you're looking into placing your cattle in a special sale, going private, or using a snooty restaurant broker. Watch their eyes light up. Help them remember that grass-fed finished cattle require an 18-24 month investment instead of 12-14 months using growth hormones, antibiotics in stressful crowded feedlots. In short, remind them that clean meat is worth more in the marketplace these days. They know that, but they just aren't quite ready yet to admit it publicly.

Regarding protein tubs. Are you giving protein supplements as free choice or only putting the tubs out periodically. In the past, I used protein periodically to improve my TDN when the hay was less than desired. How much daily gain improvement are you seeing by using increased amounts of protein? Free choice protein for 1800 head of cattle is a lot of protein. They gobble that stuff up fairly quickly. Have you tracked the cost and bottom line improvement? Are you running purebreds, purebred crosses or standard cattle?

Paul

You made some excellent points about mini bales and that's exactly why I'm researching this issue. Handling and transport wouldn't be that hard, because there wouldn't be that many bales involved and more bales can be loaded on a round bale transporter or bale wagon. Yes, the extra twine would be something of a cost factor. Unrolling more bales might be a hassle. I'll probably use a round bale feeder when I have to in the winter, but would probably have to put a couple of bales in each ring.

My little 3 cylinder 27 HP tractor only cost me $2,000 and had less than 800 hours on it. It's cheap to operate too. Sometimes, A 4WD tractor would be better for me in these little Virginia hills, but so far no problems using the smaller machine as a utility tractor. It's also great for getting into tight areas with the brush hog, mower, blade, rake, etc. Around here a used 100 HP tractor with a FEL that's worth owning goes for upwards of $10,000 and that's without 4WD. Bigger machines also eat more fuel and have higher maintenance costs. Parts availability and after-sale service and support does rank right up there as a main concern with new and uknown baler manufacturers.

And, when its all said and done, I may end up with a 4x4 or 4x5 unit. I'm just trying to consider all the different cost options at this point. If I do belly up to the EQIP trough, then maybe I can spend more funds on machinery. What can I say. I'm a prostitute. I work for money.

Ed

/ Mini Hay Balers #19  
Ed,

No real strings with EQIP. You just can't raise anything on the ground except hay be it grass or alfalfa and you have to rotate it into your grazing program. You can graze it one time or 10 times. It was probably the easiest program we've ever done. The interest has been around for quite awhile in the govt. program. You're just now starting to see the research out on it. They don't throw alot of money at it, nothing like the grain programs and CRP. And remember most of it is only cost share so they are only paying for 50-75% of the costs and they also cap that.

I don't think any of the suppliers are too worried. There's only so much pasture in the country and there's no way that you're going to do away with the feedlots anytime soon. Just not enough pasture to produce all the cattle this country does. Also I don't believe in completely finishing cattle on grass. And in most parts of the country you can't anyway. In Idaho, where most of our cattle are run, there's no way. Too much snow. Same with Iowa. So you still have to be feeding them at least three or four months of the year even with the best stockpiling.

I also really believe in the protein supplementation. The newer tubs are formulated so that only a certain portion can be eaten per day. The old tubs where they could sit there and lick one clean in a day are a waste. We've seen significan't gains between not feeding the protein tubs and feeding them. My grandfather and uncle are the best at the bottom line. We keep track of every little thing that there is.

Most of the cattle that we're running are in Idaho. I've got about 500 head in Iowa and 1000 head at my place in Idaho. We have quite a few ranches together out there and just put all of our cattle and resources together as a family and run anywhere from 4-5000 head. I'm back and forth quite a bit.
The BQA may help where you are but out west cattle are bought more by your name than by that. Almost all of our cattle are registered and we run through special sales, our own sales, and contracted beef. Smaller lots and culls we'll run through the local sales. But our good stuff goes to the better sales.

/ Mini Hay Balers #20  
I know this thread is tending a bit off track but Im learning alot from it! In that vien I'd like to ask a question about the protein blocks. I assume these consist in whole or part of some sort of animal protien. Hasn't animal protein feed been linked to BSE? Also do any of you check on a scheduled basis for BSE in your herd?