Ford 2600 diesel running rough, black snmoke.

/ Ford 2600 diesel running rough, black snmoke. #1  

CTPhil

Gold Member
Hello everyone,

My 2600 has been running rough, is low on power, and emits black smoke when revved up. It's been bad the last few days, but I'd noticed loss of power over the last couple of months. It starts right up and idles OK. I can't see any leaks, in the past when it acted like this I've needed to replace an injector line, but no apparent leaks this time. Where should I start looking?

Thanks!

/ Ford 2600 diesel running rough, black snmoke. #2  
One or more bad injector nozzles are a possibility.

Black smoke is unburnt fuel.

/ Ford 2600 diesel running rough, black snmoke.
I was wondering about the injectors. As far as I know they are the originals.

Are aftermarket injectors OK?

Last edited:
   / Ford 2600 diesel running rough, black snmoke. #4  
Just about all you can buy will be rebuilt. I've replaced a few and only had a problem once.

Before you buy injectors though, pull yours out and take them to a diesel injection shop. They can bench test them for just a few dollars each.

/ Ford 2600 diesel running rough, black snmoke. #5  
Also get a bottle of fuel system cleaner and add it to the tank, work the tractor hard a while and see if it improves things. I might be the cheapest alternative without any surgery. If you do need to take out the injectors you won't have lost much except a little time.

I tried additive first thing and was a little surprised that it didn't help. :(

/ Ford 2600 diesel running rough, black snmoke. #7  
first before you spend any money. Remove injectors and reconnect to line outside tractor, open the throttle and spin it over see what comes out.
Look for buildup on the tips, if the tips are corroded or stopped up looking you can replace the tip only or the injector, All state ag parts has them

Thanks for the advice!

I'm assuming yes, but I will check.

<Edit> The air filter isn't the problem.

Last edited: