Shaky Batwing

/ Shaky Batwing #1  

bulldog69

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3000DT/ M 9000 DTC
I have a Bush Whacker T180 batwing I got used. The left wing has a pretty bad shake, so bad that I can't run above 1800 rpms. Anything above that is just simply abuse to me and the tractor. I can unhook the driveline for that wing and the center and right side are smooth. I have replaced the blades but that has done nothing to stop the problem. There's nothing obvious wrong that I can find so I'm open to suggestions on what to look at next. It seems to cut level but just shakes like crazy. Thanks for the help.

/ Shaky Batwing #2  
Bent shaft, or something out of balance ( really out) be the first things I'd check. I hope it's something simple, like mud built up on it some how. Good luck

/ Shaky Batwing #3  
Shaking is about rotation or lack of. Check to see if the blades on that side rotate freely.

/ Shaky Batwing
The blades and bolts are new on that wing and they do swing free as they should.

/ Shaky Batwing #5  
What kind of blades. A single blade on each spindle or a set of pivoting blades?

/ Shaky Batwing #6  
I am thinking one of three things.
1. Bent drive line. Take off guards to check.
2. Loose gearbox. Check bolts going into deck.
3. Bearings in gear box are shot. Rebuild or replace.

Keep us posted.

/ Shaky Batwing #7  
Maybe u-joint in drive line. Bearing in gearbox

/ Shaky Batwing #8  
With experience, you should "know" whether it is the spindle (and blades) that are giving you that kind of shake! Drive lines don't have much speed or rotational radius to have much effect. Not sure I expressed that properly. You could remove the blades and spin the thing up to see if the imbalance is elsewhere.

/ Shaky Batwing #10  
Specifically, the drive shaft ends are 90 degrees out of phase.

Yeah cause when I had the bearing go out on one wing it didn't take long before it gave out completely and blade stopped turning,the shake didn't last to long. I would think more in the line of a bad u-joint but like industrial toys said should be able to work the blade up down and see if has some play on the spindle to rule that out. Gearbox have oil still?