trailering a truck sortof

/ trailering a truck sortof #1  

rockinmywaypa

Platinum Member
under the elephant\'s tail [ ontario can.]
Tractor
john deere 3130, universal case 970 and a IH 1086
I'am toying with a couple ideas for next harvest season.How hard is it to tow a truck with a A type towbar. It would be unconnected to the steering but I would definitely need it to steer and follow the pulling implement.The idea is a forage dump box that I would tow behind the harvester until it was full and then pull the pin so I can drive the load to storage,dump it and then drive back,hook up and fill it again.You guys that know your trucks {2or3 ton} will the front wheels follow the direction of travel or will they fight to go their own way?

/ trailering a truck sortof #2  
I help a friend that tows/repos and when he have to get a 2 ton truck from the rear we usually tie the steerin wheel to the mirror. I have used a wooden stake to. I saw a set pu like you described but the farmer built a car dolly like you see at Uhaul and it was big enough for the 2 ton truck. you backed into it the ramps had a pivot in the center to provide the trailing effect. it had a saftey chain on the truck hitch to hold it there then when you needed to empty the truck you backed the harvestor up to slack the chain thenthen you drove off. it was designed to be easy to back up on. It saved him alot of time and effort.

/ trailering a truck sortof #3  
Hi
The front wheels will follow no problem no need to disconnect the steering.

Charlie.

/ trailering a truck sortof #4  
Towing a truck this way is quite common or it used to be. If it's an auto the transmission may get hot if the speeds are high.
Tie off the steering wheel.

Egon

/ trailering a truck sortof #5  
On smooth pavement at reasonable speeds you should be fine. Sounds like you want to tow the truck through a field though. As the truck tires hit rocks, ruts and soft spots they could dig in and try to turn. Best bet is to try it, nothing to lose.

If you want to get really fancy you could have your tow bar pivot at the truck bumper and extend rearwards more. Arrange a quick-connect of some sort at the steering tie-rod and you've got wagon steering /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ trailering a truck sortof #6  
The other option is an regular trailer. Just back the entire truck onto the trailer and pull it that way. There was a farmer in the Farm Show mag that did that. When the truck was full he just drove off the trailer. This way you can set the tires on the trailer up however you need to for flotation or what not and you don't have to worry about the truck following because it is attached to the trailer.

/ trailering a truck sortof #7  
Not to be a smartash, but it sounds like you are shorthanded, why not hire a youngster who might be interested in farming and give him a taste of the work involved. How else will farming in our continent continue?

/ trailering a truck sortof
I saw that article. what I don't like is that in row crops like corn the trailer wheels being outside the regular wheels are likely going to knock down some crop. Also I may want to put triples on the back for more flotation. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll either figure out an ideal system to get some topnotch feed into the manger or I will abandon the whole idea.

/ trailering a truck sortof
Don't worry about being a smartasH, Help is not the problem in itself. I have one son old enough to do the raking now and another growing into being able to drive equip in a couple more years. What I would like is an excellent ration that can be put into the manger with very little time and work involved. I could buy forage wagons and extra tractors to pull and pack and put the kids and their Mom and a whole bunch of others to work or I can go with this idea of pulling the truck and keep it simple and do it when it suits me alone.At this stage it is still an idea. All I know is that I don't particularily like round bale haylage for different reasons.I would like feed with a little more "oomph" than I am achieving with dry hay alone.