3 Point or pull brush mowers

/ 3 Point or pull brush mowers #1  

Anonymous Poster

I will soon need to go from the sicle bar to a rather large brush mower. 3point or pull either one. Which one is better, plus what are new/used costs? Any special sources in Iowa that you know of?

ken

/ 3 Point or pull brush mowers
IN that size you will be looking at a pull type not 3 point. Medium duty bush hog, woods, rhino have been known to make good mowers. Have not looked at prices in a while but $3,000-$4,000 is a rough guess for a 9 or 10' mower.

Dave

/ 3 Point or pull brush mowers #3  
Ken, although I've not used a pull type, I thought I wanted one until I saw the prices./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I think you'll find them considerably more expensive. You don't say how big "rather large" is, but I'd say the pull type is likely the best choice if sticker shock doesn't hurt you too much./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ 3 Point or pull brush mowers #4  
Last I checked they did not make a 3 point mount over about 8' for a brush mower, at least the main brands. Maybe now but also the prices were not much different. Maybe bird is talking about a flex cutter which is VERY expensive. I just bought a small one 3 point mount 6' cuter for my New Holland compact and it was about $1200.

Roddy

/ 3 Point or pull brush mowers #5  
Actually my opinion (guess?) that the pull type was considerably higher was based on pricing some rather small ones, like 5' or 6' in the same brand. Of course, there may have been a difference in the quality or grade even within the brand. Just in the 3-point, 5' brush hogs, I looked at different ones priced from $495 to $1,400.

Bird

/ 3 Point or pull brush mowers #6  
The pull types are considerably easier to keep from scalping and digging in, but they are a lot more expensive, too - at least the ones I've priced are.

Mark