Old sawmill ,the big round blade type

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #1  

Sprinklerman

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 1925 Kubota bx 24
I have a friend selling his farm and he asked me If I wanted the old sawmill thats up there . I am guessing that its 1940's to 1950's vintage .last used in the early 1980's , Last time I looked at it was in 1985 . I am wondering if it is worth the time to go and get it ?

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #2  
My neighbor has one,sawed a lot of wood in it's day. Powered by a Rolls Royce diesel ! He is 91 now, great knowledge of the woods and all things mechanical .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 536
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 469
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 469
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 434
   / Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #3  
Is the mill undercover? A lot of the wooden "parts" can be rotted but would not be that hard to replace… if you had a sawmill:laughing: I'd love to be in your position, understanding that it will prolly take a lot of work to get everything working. Go for it if you have the time & devotion that it may take.

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type
it was under roof , dont know what condition its in , the roof or the mill . I never have the time , dont really need a sawmill ,but its free , I just have to drive 200 miles to get it .

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #5  
Back when I was a kid we used to go take logs to a sawmill to get them sawed into lumber. The guy had an old mill like you are talking about and moved it around in the woods and just hauled the logs out to the mill with a tractor and a swingcart. He would snake the logs out to the piles fer the swingcart with a mule. He cut and snaked in the morning and sawed in the evening. Had a 5 man crew and did a lot of work with that mill. Replaced most of the wood every time he moved the mill. If you have the time and the logs, or people who will bring in their logs, go for it. those things last forever. Ed

There is a book put out by Frick that tells you how to build the wood and talks about steam power.

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #6  
I'd take it just for the yard art value alone! :laughing:

Plus, I hate to see anything go to the scrapper. Maybe it could be made to work well again. Got any photos?

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #7  
I'd suggest that to set it up again for sawing would be an expensive operation. If you have to hire extra help to run it there may be safety concerns.

But; get it, save it for posterity.

note: we have no idea of what it looks like.

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #8  
I have a Bell saw. Runs off tractor PTO. I'd love a Frick. Where is it? If you're close I'm willing to work on a deal.

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type
I'd suggest that to set it up again for sawing would be an expensive operation. If you have to hire extra help to run it there may be safety concerns.

But; get it, save it for posterity.

note: we have no idea of what it looks like.

Last time I saw it was 30 plus years ago , it looked like it was all there back then. i will probably go up this fall and check it out .I was told you have to have 1 of everything before you die . I havent had a sawmill yet .

/ Old sawmill ,the big round blade type #10  
My farm renter has a circular sawmill, powered by tractor PTO. His dad, with his help, has sawn lumber for me in the past. I cut the log & told them where it's at, they did the rest!