Massey Ferguson 36 Swather manuals request

/ Massey Ferguson 36 Swather manuals request #1  

cowridermi

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 65, MF 1080, MF 1100, Kubuta B8200, Farmall 504, Farmall Cubs, Farmall Super A, Belarus 250AS's, Belarus 611, JD F935
I just purchased a MF 36 Swather at auction this weekend. I am looking for a scanned or original manual to buy. I haven't had any luck at finding one on the web.

/ Massey Ferguson 36 Swather manuals request #2  
I run a MF 36, you can get your parts book at the agco site
Click the link once, and it will go to the main page. Pick the "guest" option, it will store a cookie. Then you can click this link again to go to the parts book.

That parts book has great drawings that should let you disassemble and repair anything. In terms of maintenance, you are pretty much on your own to find all the grease fittings :)

You can cross reference the V-belts into ordinary belts at https://www.vbeltsupply.com/ which has most of the MF numbers in their database.

I've never found any manuals for the thing but it's a fairly straight forward machine to work on. Any particular questions?

One thing you absolutely must beware is the float in the Marvel Schebler carb. They are not available (they appear to be the pieces from a Ford 8N float configured differently) and they corrode readily. Always drain the bowl during storage. If you are very good at soldering they can be kept alive for awhile. I melted down all the solder on mine, patched it and put it back together. If you must, you could probably melt down and reconfigure an 8N float.

/ Massey Ferguson 36 Swather manuals request
Thanks for the reply. I found a operator manual at the Agco site and went and ordered it, cost more in shipping and handling then the manual. I have used the parts site to understand some of my MF tractors before. It does look straight forward but I always like a manual to look at. I started it up at the auction site today to get a feel for it before I drive it home in the morning, will take a bit of getting used to. Drives like a combine but I haven't driven one of those in a real long time. I will scan and post the link for the manual after I get it, I have always felt that these should be free and available.

/ Massey Ferguson 36 Swather manuals request #4  
I believe they can't legally keep you from posting it anyway, as those older manuals had a copyright exception that allows them to be freely distributed. Would be great to see it!

FYI a couple other things to watch for, especially as you are driving it home. I drove mine 30 miles and that took me the better part of a day. Bring some earplugs as it gets loud after awhile!

- There is no grease nipple for the bearings that the control jackshafts ride on (the two shafts that have the pairs of sheaves that slide back and forth). That nipple is for the big bushing the assembly rides on. They need grease injected into them with a needle. They will probably be dry and start to heat up on your way home if not greased.
- Check for play in the sheaves on the final drive gearboxes. If there is play, they won't last long before spinning on the key, leaving you stranded and damaging the input shafts.
- Check the legs and the final drive gearboxes for adequate gear oil
- Do NOT overtighten the drive chains in the legs. They will be noisy when running flat out. Tightening them more than this will result in seizing them up.
- If there is no aftermarket weight over the rear caster wheel, prepare to bang the table on the ground. A lot. You want to add weight there ASAP.

Depending how familiar you are with the steering, watch the hills:
- Pulling the control stick to neutral will not slow the machine, only coast. Pulling back on the stick is only meant for reversing, not slowing. It will slip the belts and heat everything up. Use the variator stick to your right to slow the machine.
- Pulling the variator stick all the way back will slack the belt. You will lose steerage and engine braking. This is easy to do down the first steep hill and will wake you up in a hurry.
- The mechanical brakes are for steering assist. They will not save you from running away unless you use them to turn across the hill.

/ Massey Ferguson 36 Swather manuals request