Engine Oil

/ Engine Oil #1  

RoyD

I have a '97 Kubota L3300. Is it OK to use any 5 W 30 oil for engine oil, such as QS. This is my first diesel engine and I do not know if diesels require special engine oil. Thanks

/ Engine Oil #2  
RoyD, Quaker State used to be rated for diesels, but not anymore. I asked one of their tech support guys about it and he said it would work OK if you changed oil more frequently than the manual calls for. That won't do for me, and I think most other folks will agree. Look at the API service classifications on the can or bottle. If it says for "SE, SF" etc., the "S" means for a spark ignited engine (gasoline, in other words) and the farther up the alphabet the second letter is, the more recent the classification it meets. Kubota has been behind on updating their manuals. For instance, my manual calls for API service classification of "CC or CD". The first letter "C" stands for compression combustion (diesel, in other words). However, the CC and CD are old ratings and you probably can't even find oil with them anymore. Look for something like CH-4 now on the container. Of course there are oils rated for both gasoline AND diesel. So the short answer is "use oil rated for diesel engines, not just for gas.

It seems that more and more folks are going to synthetic oils (with the proper rating), and I'm not touting any particular brand, but if you're not using synthetics, the most popular oils in my area are Chevron's Delo 400 and Shell's Rotella.

By the way, I think you and I and this discussion should have been down in the "Oil, Fuel, and Lubricants" forum./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 03/12/01 06:04 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Engine Oil #3  
I agree with Bird. Shell Rotella is excellent @ $1.44 qt. Walmart believe it or not.

Some info on oil for tractors:

How to Select Lubricating Oil for Farm Engines
Bill Hires
Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Missouri-Columbia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Engine lubricating oil must perform several functions. It should:

Reduce friction and wear between moving surfaces
Remove heat caused by friction
Provide a seal against escaping gases
Keep the engine clean by holding carbon and sludge-forming material in suspension, so they will be removed by the oil filter or when the oil is changed
Provide protection against rusting and attacks by acids.

Consider these factors when you select engine oil:

Oil types (API service classifications)
Oil viscosity
Operating conditions.

API service classification. This system, developed by the American Petroleum Institute, provides guidelines for the selection of crankcase oils suitable for various service conditions. It classifies general ranges of engine service needs based upon:

Engine design and construction
Lubricating oil
Operating conditions
Maintenance practices
Fuel characteristics.

The API engine service classification system presently includes 13 classes of service — seven for automotive (spark ignition) engines and six for diesel (compression ignition) engines. Five of the automotive and two of the diesel service categories are obsolete. Only currently recommended categories are listed in this guide.

Additives
Engine lubrication oils have chemical compounds or additives added to them for improved performance. Some of these additives are:

Oxidation inhibitors
Detergent dispersants
Corrosion inhibitors
Rust inhibitors
Anti-foam agents
Anti-wear agents
Viscosity index improvers
Pour point depressants.

Every good oil does not necessarily include each of these additives.
Packaged additives. Mixing additives with modern engine oil is not recommended. There is the possibility that their use could upset the chemical balance of the engine oil and its original additive system or shorten the engine oil's serviceable life, and may even prove detrimental to the engine.

Oil viscosity
Viscosity is the measure of the resistance to flow. It is the body or thickness of the oil. Viscosity is not a measure of oil quality.
Poor-quality oil can have the same viscosity classification as a good oil. Seven viscosity categories are defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). These are SAE 5W, SAE 10W, SAE 20, SAE 20W, SAE 30, SAE 40 and SAE 50.

The "W" (for winter) following a viscosity number indicates that an oil is suitable for cold temperature and must have the indicated viscosity at 0 degrees F. The SAE categories that do not include the "W" are suitable for use at high temperatures and must have the specified viscosity at 212 degrees F.

A multiviscosity oil meets an SAE viscosity requirement at both 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C) and 212 degrees F (100 degrees C). It does not thin out as much when heated or thicken as much when cooled as does a single-viscosity oil.

For example, SAE 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils meet cold ranking requirements of SAE 5W at 0 degrees F and high temperature viscosity requirements of SAE 30 at 212 degrees F.

Thus, a multiviscosity oil stretches the usable temperature range. It provides easier cold-weather starting, more efficient lubrication, reduced engine wear, better fuel economy and adequate protection against excessive oil thinning at operating temperatures.

Source of contamination
Combustion of hydrocarbon fuels such as gasoline and diesel fuel forms byproducts that cause corrosion and engine deposits. For example, each gallon of fuel burned causes about 1 gallon of water to be formed. Most of the water forms as vapor and goes out the exhaust. However, a small amount condenses on the cylinder wall (especially when the engine is cold) and eventually is trapped in the oil reservoir.
Carbon (or soot) formed by incomplete combustion of fuel is also picked up by the oil and carried into the oil reservoir. In combination with water, the carbon forms sludge which, if allowed to accumulate, may restrict oil passageways and cause insufficient oil flow to engine parts.

Summary
Information in this guide sheet should not replace the operator's manual recommendations. Always follow all engine oil specifications and use the manuals furnished by the engine manufacturer.

API Service Classification Chart
SF - 1980 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service
The category of SF denotes service typical of gasoline engines in passenger cars and some trucks beginning with the 1980 through 1988 model years operating under engine manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Oils developed for this service provide increased oxidation stability and improved anti-wear performance relative to oils that meet the minimum requirements for API Service Category SE. These oils also provide protection against engine deposits, rust and corrosion. Oils meeting API Service Category SF may be used when API Service Categories SE, SD, or SC are recommended.

SG - 1989 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service
The category SG denotes service typical of present gasoline engines in passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks operating under manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Category SG-quality oils include the performance properties of API Service Category CC. (Certain manufacturers of gasoline engines require oils also meeting the higher diesel engine Category CD.) Oils developed for this service provide improved control of engine deposits, oil oxidation and engine wear relative to oils developed for previous categories. These oils also provide protection against rust and corrosion. Oils meeting API Service Category SG may be used when API Service Categories SF, SE, SF/CC are recommended.

Commercial Diesel Engine Service
CC - Diesel Engine Service
The category CC denotes service typical of certain naturally aspirated, turbocharged, or supercharged diesel engines operated in moderate- to severe-duty service and certain heavy-duty gasoline engines. Oils designed for this service provide protection from high-temperature deposits and bearing corrosion in these diesel engines and also from rust, corrosion and low-temperature deposits in gasoline engines. These oils were introduced in 1961.

CD - Diesel Engine Service
The category CD denotes service typical of certain naturally aspirated, turbocharged, or supercharged diesel engines where highly effective control of wear and deposits is vital or when using fuels of a wide quality range, including high-sulfur fuels. Oils designed for this service were introduced in 1955 and provide protection from bearing corrosion and from high-temperature deposits in these diesel engines.

CD-II — Severe Duty Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine Service
Service typical of two-stroke cycle diesel engines requiring highly effective control over wear and deposits. Oils designed for this service also meet all performance requirements of API Service Category CD.

CE — 1983 Diesel Engine Service
Service typical of certain turbocharged or supercharged heavy-duty diesel engines manufactured since 1983 and operated under both low-speed, high-load and high-speed, high-load conditions. Oils designed for this service may also be used when API Engine Service Category CD is recommended for diesel engines.

Energy-Conserving Oil Classification
There are presently two energy-conserving oil categories: Energy Conserving and Energy Conserving II.
The fuel economy obtained by individual vehicle operators using engine oils that are labeled Energy Conserving or Energy Conserving II may differ because of many factors including type of vehicle and engine, engine manufacturing variables, mechanical condition and maintenance of the engine, oil previously used, operating conditions and driving habits.

Energy Conserving
Engine oils categorized as Energy Conserving are formulated to improve the fuel economy of passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks. These oils have produced a fuel economy improvement of 1.5 percent or greater over a standard reference oil in a standard test procedure. Oils meeting this requirement display the Energy Conserving label in the lower portion of the doughnut-shaped API Service Symbol.

Energy Conserving II
Engine oils categorized as Energy Conserving II are formulated to improve the fuel economy of passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks. These oils have produced a fuel economy improvement of 2.7 percent or greater over a standard reference oil in a standard test procedure. Oils meeting this requirement display the Energy Conserving II label in the lower portion of the doughnut-shaped API Service Symbol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 1999 University of Missouri

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Engine Oil #4  
I buy a brand called SUPER TECH 15-W-40 rated for service CH-4 CG4 costs $8.35 for a 2 gallon jug at Wal-Mart!

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ Engine Oil
Thanks for the info fellows. I learned some things about oil classification, and probably saved some rough wear on my engine. I agree Bird - the oil section would have been more appropriate for this discussion. I will do better next time (at least that is my intent). Royd

/ Engine Oil #6  
I do certainly appreciate finding the letter about the oils used in the diesels. I think now I know why my Izeki was releasing oil out the top at the breather on the valve cover. I hadn't changed the oil in a long time and it was black and thick but didn't have many hours on it at all. I think I have very tiny return holes from the top of the engine back to the sump since you cannot add oil from the top. It will overflow before a quart gets in. I think the oil pump had filled the valve cover up and it was running out the cap filter on top of the valve cover since it does oil real good up to the valves as I noticed after taking the valve cover off and watching it. After changing oil and filter there is no more oil coming out of the breather and the oil is thinner on the dip stick using 15W40 Shell Rotella T4. I will be changing the oil more often. Thanks very much for this read by Tractor Forum.
Engine lubricating oil must perform several functions. It should:

Reduce friction and wear between moving surfaces
Remove heat caused by friction
Provide a seal against escaping gases
Keep the engine clean by holding carbon and sludge-forming material in suspension, so they will be removed by the oil filter or when the oil is changed
Provide protection against rusting and attacks by acids.

Consider these factors when you select engine oil:

Oil types (API service classifications)
Oil viscosity
Operating conditions.

API service classification. This system, developed by the American Petroleum Institute, provides guidelines for the selection of crankcase oils suitable for various service conditions. It classifies general ranges of engine service needs based upon:

Engine design and construction
Lubricating oil
Operating conditions
Maintenance practices
Fuel characteristics.

The API engine service classification system presently includes 13 classes of service seven for automotive (spark ignition) engines and six for diesel (compression ignition) engines. Five of the automotive and two of the diesel service categories are obsolete. Only currently recommended categories are listed in this guide.

Additives
Engine lubrication oils have chemical compounds or additives added to them for improved performance. Some of these additives are:

Oxidation inhibitors
Detergent dispersants
Corrosion inhibitors
Rust inhibitors
Anti-foam agents
Anti-wear agents
Viscosity index improvers
Pour point depressants.

Every good oil does not necessarily include each of these additives.
Packaged additives. Mixing additives with modern engine oil is not recommended. There is the possibility that their use could upset the chemical balance of the engine oil and its original additive system or shorten the engine oil's serviceable life, and may even prove detrimental to the engine.

Oil viscosity
Viscosity is the measure of the resistance to flow. It is the body or thickness of the oil. Viscosity is not a measure of oil quality.
Poor-quality oil can have the same viscosity classification as a good oil. Seven viscosity categories are defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). These are SAE 5W, SAE 10W, SAE 20, SAE 20W, SAE 30, SAE 40 and SAE 50.

The "W" (for winter) following a viscosity number indicates that an oil is suitable for cold temperature and must have the indicated viscosity at 0 degrees F. The SAE categories that do not include the "W" are suitable for use at high temperatures and must have the specified viscosity at 212 degrees F.

A multiviscosity oil meets an SAE viscosity requirement at both 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C) and 212 degrees F (100 degrees C). It does not thin out as much when heated or thicken as much when cooled as does a single-viscosity oil.

For example, SAE 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils meet cold ranking requirements of SAE 5W at 0 degrees F and high temperature viscosity requirements of SAE 30 at 212 degrees F.

Thus, a multiviscosity oil stretches the usable temperature range. It provides easier cold-weather starting, more efficient lubrication, reduced engine wear, better fuel economy and adequate protection against excessive oil thinning at operating temperatures.

Source of contamination
Combustion of hydrocarbon fuels such as gasoline and diesel fuel forms byproducts that cause corrosion and engine deposits. For example, each gallon of fuel burned causes about 1 gallon of water to be formed. Most of the water forms as vapor and goes out the exhaust. However, a small amount condenses on the cylinder wall (especially when the engine is cold) and eventually is trapped in the oil reservoir.
Carbon (or soot) formed by incomplete combustion of fuel is also picked up by the oil and carried into the oil reservoir. In combination with water, the carbon forms sludge which, if allowed to accumulate, may restrict oil passageways and cause insufficient oil flow to engine parts.

Summary
Information in this guide sheet should not replace the operator's manual recommendations. Always follow all engine oil specifications and use the manuals furnished by the engine manufacturer.

API Service Classification Chart
SF - 1980 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service
The category of SF denotes service typical of gasoline engines in passenger cars and some trucks beginning with the 1980 through 1988 model years operating under engine manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Oils developed for this service provide increased oxidation stability and improved anti-wear performance relative to oils that meet the minimum requirements for API Service Category SE. These oils also provide protection against engine deposits, rust and corrosion. Oils meeting API Service Category SF may be used when API Service Categories SE, SD, or SC are recommended.

SG - 1989 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service
The category SG denotes service typical of present gasoline engines in passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks operating under manufacturers' recommended maintenance procedures. Category SG-quality oils include the performance properties of API Service Category CC. (Certain manufacturers of gasoline engines require oils also meeting the higher diesel engine Category CD.) Oils developed for this service provide improved control of engine deposits, oil oxidation and engine wear relative to oils developed for previous categories. These oils also provide protection against rust and corrosion. Oils meeting API Service Category SG may be used when API Service Categories SF, SE, SF/CC are recommended.

Commercial Diesel Engine Service
CC - Diesel Engine Service
The category CC denotes service typical of certain naturally aspirated, turbocharged, or supercharged diesel engines operated in moderate- to severe-duty service and certain heavy-duty gasoline engines. Oils designed for this service provide protection from high-temperature deposits and bearing corrosion in these diesel engines and also from rust, corrosion and low-temperature deposits in gasoline engines. These oils were introduced in 1961.

CD - Diesel Engine Service
The category CD denotes service typical of certain naturally aspirated, turbocharged, or supercharged diesel engines where highly effective control of wear and deposits is vital or when using fuels of a wide quality range, including high-sulfur fuels. Oils designed for this service were introduced in 1955 and provide protection from bearing corrosion and from high-temperature deposits in these diesel engines.

CD-II Severe Duty Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine Service
Service typical of two-stroke cycle diesel engines requiring highly effective control over wear and deposits. Oils designed for this service also meet all performance requirements of API Service Category CD.

CE 1983 Diesel Engine Service
Service typical of certain turbocharged or supercharged heavy-duty diesel engines manufactured since 1983 and operated under both low-speed, high-load and high-speed, high-load conditions. Oils designed for this service may also be used when API Engine Service Category CD is recommended for diesel engines.

Energy-Conserving Oil Classification
There are presently two energy-conserving oil categories: Energy Conserving and Energy Conserving II.
The fuel economy obtained by individual vehicle operators using engine oils that are labeled Energy Conserving or Energy Conserving II may differ because of many factors including type of vehicle and engine, engine manufacturing variables, mechanical condition and maintenance of the engine, oil previously used, operating conditions and driving habits.

Energy Conserving
Engine oils categorized as Energy Conserving are formulated to improve the fuel economy of passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks. These oils have produced a fuel economy improvement of 1.5 percent or greater over a standard reference oil in a standard test procedure. Oils meeting this requirement display the Energy Conserving label in the lower portion of the doughnut-shaped API Service Symbol.

Energy Conserving II
Engine oils categorized as Energy Conserving II are formulated to improve the fuel economy of passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks. These oils have produced a fuel economy improvement of 2.7 percent or greater over a standard reference oil in a standard test procedure. Oils meeting this requirement display the Energy Conserving II label in the lower portion of the doughnut-shaped API Service Symbol.

Copyright 1999 University of Missouri

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG
[/QUOTE]

/ Engine Oil #7  
Let's see for the top five? Religion, politics, motor oil, fuel additives and thinking the ground and neutral are the same in an electrical service.