Detroit Diesel 8v92TA

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #21  
In my younger days I owned a 78 Kenworth semi tractor with a 8V92 in it. If memory serves it was rated at 360 hp. If you added a turbo (8V92T) it jumped up to 435 hp and I seem to recall a twin turbo after cooled (8V92TTA) version at 455 hp.

The 8V92T was by far the most common, at least around here. A few 6V in P&D trucks or farmers grain trucks. The bulk of the V8s were in greyhound busses and V6s in school busses. A friend of mine had a bus that his senior hockey team owned, I can't remember if it was a 71 or 92 series but it ran backwards of most, something about how it sat in the frame and drove the power train. Apparently the only difference was the starter spun it the opposite way and that is how it ran.

There was a story going around that the V16s were simply 2 8s bolted together somehow. The 16s were used around here for generators on construction sites but my mechanic said they were popular on the coast in tugboats.

By the mid 80s I think they saw the writing on the wall with emission rules and knew they couldn't get the 2 stroke design clean so they did away with the 92 series and came out with the 4 stroke 60 series. I had a 89 Volvo that had the new 60 series at 400 hp. Day and night difference in pulling power and probably 50% better fuel mileage.

A couple years ago I ran into my mechanic from when I had the Kenworth. He told me he had pulled the motor out of my old truck when it was scrapped and put it in a front-end loader and it was still running strong, probably a 30 year old motor.

Gary

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #22  
I would also look at at the export market for Detroit 2 cycles - you can use them only on limited applications in CA due to emissions.

Great engines but noisy and thirsty.

YC