Detroit Diesel 8v92TA

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #1  

justinramani

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Hi everyone,

I just picked up two brand new Detroit Diesel 8v92TA's at auction today... They are electronic controlled engines - anyone know applications for these? Any idea on what they are worth?

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #3  
Hi everyone,

I just picked up two brand new Detroit Diesel 8v92TA's at auction today... They are electronic controlled engines - anyone know applications for these? Any idea on what they are worth?

Why would you buy engines from auction that you dont know the application of, nor the value of?

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA
I know the military application. I am looking for civilian applications.

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #5  
I would talk to the shipyards. Alot of larger boats used them as well as large forklifts, cranes etc.

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #7  
From their wiki page: "In the 1980s and early 1990s, the Series 92 was used as a major bus engine in North America. It was also available for several other applications: Trucks, buses, motor homes, construction, fire trucks/apparatus, industrial equipment, several military vehicles, and marine applications."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_92

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #8  
decades ago when working for a Detroit dealer I saw lots and lots of them in yellow school bus's. The only thing that I recall about them was that they could not be rebuilt to an oversized piston, but my memory sucks I could be way way off.

/ Detroit Diesel 8v92TA #10  
I hardly think many 8V92's found their way into busses and motor homes.

From the article...

"In the 1980s and early 1990s, the Series 92 was used as a major bus engine in North America. It was also available for several other applications: Trucks, buses, motor homes, construction, fire trucks/apparatus, industrial equipment, several military vehicles, and marine applications."