stuck in hiogh gear (MF)

/ stuck in hiogh gear (MF) #1  

FrankT

Started MF 135 backed a 100 feet...dropped off impliment..put it in forward & went 100ft. stopped & tried to put it in neutral but it was stuck in high gear...clutch works & transfer case lever works...gearshift
lever is stuck in high gear so, although & can shift the transfer case ro neutral & be stationary I cannot get it into reverse of any other gear. Help please

/ stuck in hiogh gear (MF) #2  
Are the teeth binding (Shifter stuck) or does the shifter move free but forks not changing gears? With transfer case in gear and (of course) engine off and trans in high - can you have someone pull you backwards whilst you hold the clutch in (disengaged). This would eliminate any teeth binding.

Happened once to me several years ago on a Case. Ended up being a busted shifter fork.

/ stuck in hiogh gear (MF) #3  
FrankT
I've seen this happen before. What has happened is this:
The shifter lever has slipped out of one fork while it was still in gear and engaged the other fork. You'll probably have to remove the top cover of the transmission, shift BOTH forks into neutral by hand and then reinstall the cover, making sure the shift lever goes back into the notches on the forks. While you have the shift lever out, you really should look at it closely to see if it's worn badly enough that this will happen again.

If I remember correctly, taking the top off the trans is a pretty good job on the 135. I think the steering gearbox has to come off too as well as the fuel tank since the tank is mounted to the steering box and the steering box is mounted on the trans cover.
Good luck!
Mark