3PH finish mower gearbox

/ 3PH finish mower gearbox #1  

Lockport

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
I've a Bobcat 72" 3PH finish mower. I need the blades to turn in the opposite dIrection. I've noticed that on the rear side of the square gearbox is a plastic cap and four bolt taps that would mimic the pattern accommodating the spline shaft on the front. Obviously this I'd just what I'm looking for, but I cannot find a shred of information clarifying the process. How do I do this?

1471817234871.jpg

/ 3PH finish mower gearbox #2  
Well there are four bolts holding the top cover on. I'm sure you could take that cover off and you'd be able to see if your idea would work or not.

Even easier would be to take the four bolts out that hold the gear box onto the deck and turn it 180 degrees.

/ 3PH finish mower gearbox
And then what? Knock that plastic piece out and will it let me reuse it on the other side? I could speculate that there is a bearing with a ring clip holding the spline shaft in place and meshing with a 45° angle downward force being applied to another shaft that drives the blades. Removing that and orienting it on the opposing side, turning the gearbox to face forward of course. I suppose opening the top is obviously the next step. Has no one ever seen this before? Thx

That's about what I found. There is a plastic cap on the rear side and a cap on the front with an opening for the spline. Inside the gearbox the spline shaft is thicker and the 45° gear is held in place with a ring clip. My neighbor and I are speculating that there are further ring clips on either end and they both have to come out to free the shaft, remove it, and turn the gear to mesh on the rear side of its facing.
1471922913238.jpg1471922950083.jpg1471922991612.jpg

/ 3PH finish mower gearbox #5  
To me it looks like you are on the right track.

So if I understand you correctly you want the input shaft of the gear box facing the same way but the output shaft turning in the opposite direction? If that's true then what you and the neighbor are speculation should work.

/ 3PH finish mower gearbox #6  
I've a Bobcat 72" 3PH finish mower. I need the blades to turn in the opposite dIrection.

Won't that unmow your grass?

:)

Bruce

Yeah, we're going in the turf business!

/ 3PH finish mower gearbox #8  
Just why do you need to turn the blades the other way? Sounds like to me you have the wrong blades are they are upside down. The belt tension pully well have to be changed also.

These mowers aren't made anymore. Whatever Doosan was thinking when they subcontracted these goes right back to the proprietary days of the now defunct Gateway computers. You couldn't buy an off the shelf sound card, video, modem or any other addition because they had a proprietary BUS.

I'm not anticipating any serious complications in the belt tensioner turning in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
   / 3PH finish mower gearbox #10  
I would be looking for some LH or RH blades.