Combines/Harvesters

/ Combines/Harvesters
Richard - I'll definitely have to look into the more 'normal' self-propelled equipment when I'm ready. My budget for this type of exercise is necessarily limited until the concept could prove itself. Also I figured that while a pull-behind combine is complicated a self-propelled unit would be complicated squared. In just casually perusing the usual on-line sites it looked like a combine from the 70's that isn't a complete rust-bucket disaster is typically closer to $10K-$15K without a head around here. I was assuming that the reality would be that a running combine (either up front cost or after repairs for a 'low cost' purchase) with head would be more in the $20K-$25K area. The small tractor-powered harvesters appeared to be hovering about 10% of those numbers, hence the initial interest.

Are there harvesting machines built new for small farm operations overseas imported here anywhere?

Tim

/ Combines/Harvesters #23  
Tim,

I can't believe older combines are that much there. You can regularly get a nice older 80's unit for the $2000 range. I was just at a sale last week that a nice older JD combine only brought $2800 with both heads for it. I don't know of anyone that sells the pull behind harvesters new but I haven't looked for one either.

/ Combines/Harvesters
Hmm. Let's see, Iowa is 12 hours by car... What's the fastest road gear on a JD Combine? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Combines/Harvesters #25  
For the difference in prices I bet you could have it trucked there and still come out way ahead!!!

/ Combines/Harvesters #26  
There were some pull type combines with their own motor. For your anticipated operation one like this does not require a large tractor. Finding one that will run properly is the problem.

Combines are quite road worthy. Few years ago a protesting farmer drove one from Alberta to Ontario.

Egon

/ Combines/Harvesters #27  
Just my 2 cents, but as a former custom operator I have had many sizes and brands, I would not even consider the pull types they just don't do the job the newer 60's and later machines can do. You would be surprised just how efficent a machine from the late 60's can be and even a small self propelled machine can do that acreage in a day with acceptable loss rates ie. less than 1 bu/ac. As I said earlier I have had machines that had 10 foot heads all the way up to being able to handle 30' the big ones are cool, I always liked doing 6 mph shelling corn, but that machine also used 7 gal of fuel per hour, heck it had 100 gal tank on the tail. My favorites are the 2 row machines, small easy to get around with pretty simple to set up and fix, if you can find one in decent shape they will do the job and usually pretty cheap to purchase as everyone usually wants a machine they can hang a 4 row head on,look for one from a private individual last one I picked up was on the same farm from new and was only used to cut small grain, put a tune up in it and replaced all the thresher seals, and cut beans with it all season alongside the big one. just my 2 cents

/ Combines/Harvesters #28  
The pull-type combine you want is the Case 66 or 72. It is the best supported these days. Some of the old JD units (models 30 - 40?) are too, but the Case allowed a corn head - at least some.

Problems:

Finding one. In good shape.

Maintaining one. You will be doing your own work, and a combine is _the_ biggest thing to maintain - by far.

Keeping it covered. They need to be in a shed, or they rust through in a year or 2.

A tractor to pull it. They are very big & very heavy & like to sink into the ground very much and they pull to one side. You need a good 30 or so hp _utility_ tractor to manage it. A CUT is too light, you will bog down & have the tail wagging the dog.

For small grains, you probably need to swath it. Weeds are the problem, an old combine can't handle green stuff, so you need to cut it, wait 3-5 days, then combine it.

For corn, _storage_ will be the issue. You need the corn under 15% moisture to store as kernals, under 30% (under 24% is recommended) to store it on the ear in a crib. It is _real_ uncommon to get corn under 20% in the field. And old combines have a hard time handling corn anyhow.

You are in an area where this small equipment brings premium prices. Here in MN that stuff sells for scrap iron. $50 will get you a parts machine, $100 will get you a working one - if you can get there before the iron man...

A Gleaner K combine (or newer K2) is a great self-propelled machine - 2 row corn, 10-13' bean header, can still get parts from Agco. They sell for $500 or less with at least 1 head, if not both heads 'here'. Again, you are in an area of demand, whole different thing. An equivelent JD is the 45, but JD doesn't support them as well any more.

--->Paul

/ Combines/Harvesters #29  
Here in MN we have older JD combines from the 70s and 80s on our lot. I have driven both styles and like the hydros from the 80's. They are nice. We have a 1980s 6620 Side Hill that we will probably sell for around 13,000. They go up to about 20,000 grand for the nice ones. About 2,000 hours. We have a 6600 I think it is with a new diesel motor from JD for 5,000. And last summer I almost bought a 1972 JD 4400 with gas motor for 1,000 but I never did. I should have it was a gear drive which was kind of a bear to drive but it was in good shape for the year. I have yet to see one in that shape again. I like to drive the ones from the 80s and they are fun to wash up real nice. The only thing I would worry about when buying an older combine is the condition of the belts and other large mechanical parts since the repairs would nip you in the butt if you needed to do all the belts on the thing.

How are your combine prices so low for hydro combines from the 1980's?

/ Combines/Harvesters #30  
A friend of mine just bought this new harvester in attachment which harvests grain, etc as well as it converts the stalk to hay at the same time. It is pulled by the tractor, but it is very slow (comparing with standart harvesters.) It harvests about only 3-5 acres a day.

Attachments

• 435479-harvester.jpg
    435479-harvester.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 719