Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Combines/Harvesters

Several years ago I also bought a self propelled combine Nomad. It also does about 3 to 5 acres a day depending on fuel supply. Heinekens has been determined as the best fuel at this point in time.

Picture attached.

Egon
    Last edited by Egon; 09-04-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Tractor
    Many

Up here Old small combines are cheap especially gas ones,
    Local auctions this summer
    JD 7700 diesel =$900 cad
    Gleaner n6 =$ 1200 cad
    NH TR 70 =$ 1500 cad This was like new
    IH 915? =$ 400 cad
    These were all different auctions.
    I sold a good MF 750 ( if such a thing exists ) for $900 cad
    The only small combine that makes money here is IH 1460 or Gleaner L2.
    Older Small equipment ( 10 - 20 feet) is usually for scrap price or at most a couple of hundred bucks unless it's 3 point then it sells. Nobody over 1000 acres uses this stuff any more , and because no'ones using them the wreckers dont even want them so theres nothing keeping the price up.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Older pull-type combines have reached that stage where they're popular as collectors items. They're a LITTLE bit easier to move than a full-sized self propelled combine. A GOOD AC Allcrop or any of the better choices in pull types will sell at or near the same money as some self propelled models with plenty of life left in them.

One thing to be aware of if you're shopping for a self propelled combine. Corn heads or grain heads can be priced HIGHER than the combine you plan on using it with. (Especially true with Deere headers)

I spent 15 years with an old Massey Ferguson 300 combine. The last 7 years I had a corn crop, I used a Deere 4400. The Deere 4400 and 6600 sell relatively cheap. They're "good" combines for their era. I routinely see them sell (without headers) for UNDER $2000 in good working condition.

All things being equal, unless you're just looking for an "educational experience", I'd go with hiring a custom cutter to do your work.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

I don't subscribe to reopening 2+ y/o threads, but you CAN get the JD pull type. They make special ones for the Amish in Montana. I have seen second hand pics of them.

Gold Member

I would agree with rback33 and Farmwithjunk, go for a tractor drawn all crop,
    one with only a 6 or 8 foot cut won't take much more than an easy day or two,too harvest 16 acres. If bags are still available and you find a machine with a bagging attachment, although a lot more work bags may be the way to go, also the grain could be easier to sell in bags if you are in an area where there are a lot of small holdings.
    A lot of replies advise the use of a contractor, (they are possibly correct) but don't be put off , what you really wanted to know was, what would be a suitable machine and where to obtain one.

Gold Member
    In the middle of the palm of your right hand...wait, that doesn\'t sound good...
    Tractor
    4010 JD Cut, 4020 JD, shovels, rakes, and implements of destruction

Well TIMB - what did you end up with...or are you still looking?
    Rick

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK55C

Quote Originally Posted by R W
    I would agree with rback33 and Farmwithjunk, go for a tractor drawn all crop,
    one with only a 6 or 8 foot cut won't take much more than an easy day or two,too harvest 16 acres. If bags are still available and you find a machine with a bagging attachment, although a lot more work bags may be the way to go, also the grain could be easier to sell in bags if you are in an area where there are a lot of small holdings.
    A lot of replies advise the use of a contractor, (they are possibly correct) but don't be put off , what you really wanted to know was, what would be a suitable machine and where to obtain one.
    I think I've got an AC AllCrop in the shed also some other stuff. I am thinking it is a 60 in. because of some sickle blades I see laying around. I found some other parts as well, one attachment still(ScourKleen - not sure what this does) in the crate.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000

Quote Originally Posted by rvaitor
    I found some other parts as well, one attachment still(ScourKleen - not sure what this does) in the crate.
    ScourKleen is a grain cleaning attachment which is mounted just above the grain tank. Grain goes through it on the way to the tank/bin/hopper. They were most often used when harvesting grain destined for seed use.

Fred

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK55C

Quote Originally Posted by Fredex
    ScourKleen is a grain cleaning attachment which is mounted just above the grain tank. Grain goes through it on the way to the tank/bin/hopper. They were most often used when harvesting grain destined for seed use.

Fred
    Thanks there were several pieces of eqmt related to seed or grain production. I also had a large seed cleaner(55 or 51 vintage) so much of this eqmt was purchased in the sixties. He died in 1980 and most of it has been in the shed since. I advertised the seed cleaner back in Nov and the phone rang off the wall so there apparently is a lot of interest in some of this older eqmt. For me it is very unlikely I will ever use it so I may put it on the market as well and make room for something else. The eqmt is interesting and I'd love to see it work. I did run across a video on the All-Crop in action so I have a feel for that - just don't see that I would get into this type of farming.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast