Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Default Re: disc mower recomendations????

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBenson View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but I've never used a disc mower before. MF recommends a tractor w/ cab when using a disc mower. Why is this? And is it really neccesary?
    Not dumb, smart.

I've been considering buying a disc mower. I have a few patches of gravely soil in my hayfield with some stones the size of walnuts. If I ever get a disc mower, I'd build a safety shield out of several layers of expanded metal and place it between me and the mower. I already have a safety shield attached to the ROPS on my Mahindra 5525 to protect my backside when using the brush hog.

I'd anchor the disc mower safety shield to the right fender and to the ROPS.
    Safety first, last and always.

Don't trust the windows in tractor cabs. A few months ago I visited my local welding shop for supplies and saw a tractor for repairs to a cab window that was smashed by debris tossed up by the disc mower.

Tractor
    kubota m8540hdc12 jd 2305 jd 4005 jd 5055e

i bought a 1410 last year and really like it. did 6,000 square bales. 1,000 this year so far. not one issue with the mower. yery easy to service. if i ever have a problem with the hubs, i'll change them to the shock hubs then. my fields are a little bumpy so i mow around 5.5 mph. you may be able to go faster. if you get one, be careful because you can cut a lot of hay very quickly. also the flails work great on grass hay. i think i got it for 17,000$. by the way, i use a 85hp 4x4 tractor. hardley know the mower is behind you. if you get one, make sure you get the hydraulic header lift.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1962 IH 606, JD 2440, JD 5410, MF 265, MF 271XE, 58 Case 420 Shovel dozer

Thanks, I've found very little in the way of reviews on the 1410. Did you get the straight pull hitch? And I wish I could have made 1k bales so far. It hasn't stopped raining long enough to mow since June 10th. Have you run it with less power? New Holland is calling for 65hp which is where 2 of my tractors are 2440 and a 5410 Deere. I doubt I'll be able to mow any faster than 5.5 mph I have bumpy hilly fields, but with how thick the hay is this year and the fact that with this weather I'll be doing first crop into sept, it will be good not to worry about plugging the haybines.

Tractor
    kubota m8540hdc12 jd 2305 jd 4005 jd 5055e

i have the straight hitch on mine. i haven't tried it with a smaller tractor. i think with a set of weights on the front you will be fine. ask you're dealer. you will just have to go a little slower. i've ran it through some tall, thick hay and i never pluged it.

Tractor
    ford 7700

Who builds Massy disc mowers

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by Rontenman View Post
    Who builds Massy disc mowers
    I believe it depends on the model. Seems I have read some were New Idea, and others are Hesston. Their all under AGCO now.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

After using this double action sickle mower I'm not going back to a disc mower again. I can cut just as fast as my previous disc mower without all the flying debris. If I had a fully enclosed A/C equipted tractor with shatter-proof glass it might have been much better using the disc mower. My fuel consumption has dropped considerably since going back to the sickle mower too. My bosses M 9000 kubota also took out his window from his disc mower. Tractor manufacturers need to use a safer type glass in their tractors that's not so prone to flying debris.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

I have replaced 2 windows in my cab from rocks out of a disc mower. it happens - newer fields, not totally grown yet. Also, I adjusted the nose of the cutter bar up some to help.

D.
    ----------------------------------
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts
    ----------------------------------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123