disc mower recomendations????

/ disc mower recomendations???? #21  
This is probably a dumb question, but I've never used a disc mower before. MF recommends a tractor w/ cab when using a disc mower. Why is this? And is it really neccesary?

Not dumb, smart.

I've been considering buying a disc mower. I have a few patches of gravely soil in my hayfield with some stones the size of walnuts. If I ever get a disc mower, I'd build a safety shield out of several layers of expanded metal and place it between me and the mower. I already have a safety shield attached to the ROPS on my Mahindra 5525 to protect my backside when using the brush hog.

DSCF0083Small.jpg

I'd anchor the disc mower safety shield to the right fender and to the ROPS.
Safety first, last and always.

Don't trust the windows in tractor cabs. A few months ago I visited my local welding shop for supplies and saw a tractor for repairs to a cab window that was smashed by debris tossed up by the disc mower.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #22  
i bought a 1410 last year and really like it. did 6,000 square bales. 1,000 this year so far. not one issue with the mower. yery easy to service. if i ever have a problem with the hubs, i'll change them to the shock hubs then. my fields are a little bumpy so i mow around 5.5 mph. you may be able to go faster. if you get one, be careful because you can cut a lot of hay very quickly. :D also the flails work great on grass hay. i think i got it for 17,000$. by the way, i use a 85hp 4x4 tractor. hardley know the mower is behind you. if you get one, make sure you get the hydraulic header lift.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #23  
Thanks, I've found very little in the way of reviews on the 1410. Did you get the straight pull hitch? And I wish I could have made 1k bales so far. It hasn't stopped raining long enough to mow since June 10th. Have you run it with less power? New Holland is calling for 65hp which is where 2 of my tractors are 2440 and a 5410 Deere. I doubt I'll be able to mow any faster than 5.5 mph I have bumpy hilly fields, but with how thick the hay is this year and the fact that with this weather I'll be doing first crop into sept, it will be good not to worry about plugging the haybines.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #24  
i have the straight hitch on mine. i haven't tried it with a smaller tractor. i think with a set of weights on the front you will be fine. ask you're dealer. you will just have to go a little slower. i've ran it through some tall, thick hay and i never pluged it.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #26  
Who builds Massy disc mowers

I believe it depends on the model. Seems I have read some were New Idea, and others are Hesston. Their all under AGCO now.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #27  
After using this double action sickle mower I'm not going back to a disc mower again. I can cut just as fast as my previous disc mower without all the flying debris. If I had a fully enclosed A/C equipted tractor with shatter-proof glass it might have been much better using the disc mower. My fuel consumption has dropped considerably since going back to the sickle mower too. My bosses M 9000 Kubota also took out his window from his disc mower. Tractor manufacturers need to use a safer type glass in their tractors that's not so prone to flying debris.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #28  
I have replaced 2 windows in my cab from rocks out of a disc mower. it happens - newer fields, not totally grown yet. Also, I adjusted the nose of the cutter bar up some to help.

D.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #29  
Do you know which Kuhn model the Morra F-25 mower is similar to? I understand some of the parts interchange.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #30  
Actually I almost lost an eye to a disc mower. I have an open tractor and that curtain wrapped around the mower does zero for protection. One has a natural reaction to watch the mower work and that makes it so dangerous for us with open cabs. If I was cutting just straight grass hay I would go with a double action sickle mower. No flying rocks and I get a much cleaner cut with better regrowth compared to my old disc mower. I'm completely sold on these double action sickle mowers and never would have considered one a few yr ago. Glad I made the switch!