disc mower recomendations????

/ disc mower recomendations???? #1  

wwilson1900

lely and vermeer are basically the same, right?
kuhn and john deere are the same too???
who makes bellon?
are they OK?
any other that should be considered?
i have heard about ones that you have to tear the whole cutter bar apart to replace one bearing, are these still made?
Which ones, i want to avoid them.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #2  
You can check out NH and Gehl as well. What size and type were you looking for?

/ disc mower recomendations???? #3  
The current Kuhn is not the same as the current JD or NH. The NH uses a segmented shaft drive cutterbar. The JD is a segmented oil bath cutterbar gearbox. The Kuhn, Fort & Morra are almost exact. Fort/Morra copied the current Kuhn. They have one oil bath gearbox with replaceable disc spindle pods. If an intermediary gear's bearings were to fail you would have to take the entire cutterbar apart with the Kuhn/Fort design. The Bellon mower I think uses a Comer oil bath cutterbar. The major manufacturers of oil bath cutterbar transmissions are Comer, MBS (Fort), Kuhn, Kverneland, & Krone.
Lely was the first to MFG the shaft drive. The current New Idea/Agco mower uses a modified Lely design to get around the Lely patents. The Vermeer and Lely share the same transmission but different blades and the Vermeer had a Kevlar curtain.The Lely/Vermeer uses EP000 lubrication that has a life of 20 years.
Most all the disc mowers mow close to the same but the shaft drive mowers are fixed very quickly where oil bath mowers take longer and cost more to fix. The Lely/Vermeer mower will mow at 90 degree where the oil bath mowers can not do this because of lubrication issues. The Lely shaft drive system has less moving parts, weighs less and needs 20% HP than any of the oil bath mowers.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #4  
CCI gave you a good description of most of the models. JD makes their own mower conditioner in Iowa except for the new 730 and 735 mower conditioner which is made in France.

/ disc mower recomendations????
I was wanting about a 6 disc 8' cut 3 pt. mower.
The bellon is $2000 cheaper than anything else around here.
Is the lely worth the extra cost?

/ disc mower recomendations???? #6  
You might want to check out the 3 point disc mowers from Massey Ferguson (click on the link below). Introduced last year, they are based on the New Idea design that CCI mentioned and feature a segmented bar and shaft design that minimizes cross contamination issues if a failure were to occur and a relatively low maintenenace schedule. There a 5 models to choose from:
- 1306 4 disc 5'6" cut
- 1307 5 disc 6'8" cut
- 1308 6 disc 7'10" cut
- 1309 7 disc 9'2" cut
- 1310 8 disc 10'4" cut

http://www.masseyferguson.agcocorp.com//default.cfm?pid=1.7.50

/ disc mower recomendations???? #7  
Mark, do you have any input on a New Idea 5212. I think NI still makes them but this one is a few years old (the old gray paint scheme). How well did they hold up and what size tractor could pull it. The reason I ask is that my dealer has one but my only machine that would be hooked to it is a TN 65 till next spring when I get a larger machine. Could I run the 5212 if I only cut 9' of the swath? Also, what is the price of one of these things suppose to resemble for a used machine in decent condition. Thanks.

/ disc mower recomendations???? #8  
Today, Our 8 ft model 2060 "Fort" disc mowers branded with the "First Choice" name runs $4495 assembled + shipping--We are approaching 1000 of these units sold and have had no more problems than the NH or Deere consumers have had with thier mowers-Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New Disc Mowers and Hay Tedders*

pull_out_of_gear_on_cutterbar.gif

/ disc mower recomendations???? #9  
This is probably a dumb question, but I've never used a disc mower before. MF recommends a tractor w/ cab when using a disc mower. Why is this? And is it really neccesary?

/ disc mower recomendations???? #10  
Disc mower disc spin extremly fast. The juices from the grass splash pretty good which is why they have shields around the mowers. You also have to be careful in case the blades hit a rock and send the rock or fragments of rock (and possibly blade as well) out of the cutter and towards the tractor. Having a cab will give you added protection from being injured or killed by a stray stone or knife blade.