And the question probably asked a hundred times- which 4x4 baler?

/ And the question probably asked a hundred times- which 4x4 baler? #1  

MikeinMich

So I have a Kubota MX5800 and I've been bailing with a NH 311, which works pretty well, but I've been having a bit of trouble looking for suckers - I mean helpers- to put up the hay. So due to this, and because I have a hay hut and net that I like to use round bales with too, I've been thinking about getting a smaller round baler . I think a 4x4 one is pretty much what my limit will be, especially given that I have hills. I know nothing about them, of course, just that the new ones are pretty expensive (understatement of the year). So I'd like to stay under 5k, but could go a little higher. As an end hay user, I like net wrap, but I'm fine with twine because I store the hay inside. I'm also very much into low maintenance/reliability - I have my eye on a 483 New Idea that isn't too much, but I'd love some more input. Thanks in advance !!

/ And the question probably asked a hundred times- which 4x4 baler? #2  
I bought a slightly used 3 y.o. J.D. 335 nearly 20 years ago. It had less than 3,000 bales through it, when I bought it. I only make 50-60 round bales a year for my horses, but other than re-splicing the original belts where the old splices have started to come undone, and one of the small cables for the bale size gauge broke, and I replaced, it has been trouble free. It does have hydraulic tie arms, which to me seems the best option, when you plan on keeping it for many years. JMO...

/ And the question probably asked a hundred times- which 4x4 baler? #3  
The NI483 is a good baler its soft core and easy to use with a wide pickup. NI is now a AGCO product and you need a good local dealer for expertise on major things. The belts are in groups are sturdy and work well look to see if they are in good shape. the controller or signaler needs to be working correctly the monitor is the most common problem. you can get most common parts at any TSC or from ebay. Belts are expensive. If the belts are worn at the lacings or edges and the monitor is questionable dont pay a lot.

/ And the question probably asked a hundred times- which 4x4 baler? #4  
I had a neighbor, deceased now, who would (shamelessly) hit on people in the neighborhood (especially newcomers from the city) to help him with his hay. It worked, and his wife cooked them a meal. Cheap labor.