post hole diggers

/ post hole diggers #1  

gerard

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT w/FEL
I'm looking at a light duty King Cutter post hole digger and wanted some input. My neighbor has a 65hp tractor and we were going to split the cost but were concerned over the 35hp gearbox. Question is, since it has shearbolt protection shouldn't the bolt shear before the gearbox gets damaged???? Price is $500 at Tractor Supply place with 9 inch auger.

/ post hole diggers #2  
I use a light post hole digger on my 68 HP M6800, but would not buy one for extended use. With that much power behind it, a bigger gearbox is essential and a slip clutch is mandatory. I changed 26 shear bolts in about two hours one day drilling in a rocky area. The problem is not as bad with light soil.

/ post hole diggers
I have pretty good soil (judging from my previously hand dug holes) and the use is going to be pretty light. I don't mind going through some shear bolts as long as it won't trash the gear box.

/ post hole diggers #4  
Oh Forgot - First thing we did was bust one of the mounting ears off of it and had to weld it back on. I would not personally want to share a post hole digger with anyone. Some require the pto shaft to be cut to fit the tractor, although most work ok. The first auger was junk and had to be replaced with a $350 auger to be useful. This was used in sand, but a flat rock will tear up the light augers. There probably is a reason why they rent for nearly $100/day. A rock drill setup rents for about $200/day plus $7 per tooth that you knock off.

Almost everyone has had been hurt by the contraptions folding up unexpectely when putting them on or taking them off the tractor so be careful with them.

/ post hole diggers #5  
Somebody awhile back said they stored their auger by hanging it from a tree. I guess that's to keep it from collapsing.

My 3ph pallet forks have the same problem, and they weigh 600 lbs. I haven't got a tree handy. I end up laying it flat so it doesn't fall on me or somebody else when I'm not around.