Poison Ivy cure!

/ Poison Ivy cure! #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
If you are allergic to poison ivy and don't know this cure you'll thank me!
I just got back from spraying all ivy I could see with Roundup.
It's Jewel Weed also called Touch Me Not. Late summer it has small trumpet shaped small orange flowers.
We pick a large pot full and wife adds some water, boils it down until it looks like dark tea. We keep a gallon jug in the refrigerator. When I get ivy blisters I pour the Jewel liquid in a bowl, take a paper towel folded about 4"x4", soak it and make a compress, leave it on maybe an hour or so. It works for other skin rashes I've tried.
Jewel Weed grows in wet shady soil along creek banks, ponds. You can just rub the leaves on it but the "tea" works better. or_jewelweed.jpg

/ Poison Ivy cure! #2  
It's available on Amazon.com in several forms such as soap.

/ Poison Ivy cure! #4  
FWIW..."Jewell Weed" (AKA "touch me not") is a close cousin to the common Impatien ...

/ Poison Ivy cure! #5  
I don't believe there is a cure.
Just relief, AKA calamine lotion.

I know of some that would simply walk past ivy and start to itch.

Worst possible infection is to get it in your 'privates' area.
LOL cost me gallons of Calamine at one time. (many ions ago, don't ask)

OK, I'll tell.

Following a vehicle 'incident' we had to climb out of a steep and deep ditch wearing shorts and loose T shirts.
In the process of getting out our bellies and legs got exposed as we literally had to crawl like a baby would.
In the crawling process our shorts were almost pulled off thereby exposing the tender areas.

Last edited:
   / Poison Ivy cure! #6  
When I was a kid I was even more highly allergic to poison ivy than I am today. So I was maybe 10 or 12 and I had to take an emergency thunder dump in the woods.... and used leaves to clean..... guess what I used!?

I ended up at the doctor and getting steroid shots because my entire crack was blistered, splitting open and in horrible agony of itching, bleeding and pain. The couple times since then that I was forced to do an emergency woodlands dump... I remove a sock, shirt, boxers and wipe with that. I'm never getting a sore butt like that again.

/ Poison Ivy cure!
That's why I started this thread...Jewel Weed works! If I know I've come in contact then the faster just soap and water the better. But once I have it, Jewel Weed works.
Funny about wiping with ivy leaves...Dad did that when we were kids. He runs in bathroom, grabs a tube of something, smears it on and it was Ben Gay.
That imagine of him squatting naked over a floor fan I'll always remember. Ouch!!!!!

/ Poison Ivy cure! #9  
I never used to be allergic to it when I was a kid; my friend and I used to have fun chasing our sisters around with it. :D
Somewhere along the line that changed. One day I was walking my dog and inadvertently got into some; as soon as I got home I washed up thoroughly so all was well... for a time. A couple of weeks later I developed an itch; and where it started made me nervous as I had spent a couple of weeks with someone who turned out to be sluttier than I realized. It quickly spread to my arms though, apparently I should have washed off the dog's leash.

/ Poison Ivy cure! #10  
Also if you get into nettles, rubbing jewel weed or juice from burdock stem takes the sting away