Better quality finish mower?

/ Better quality finish mower? #1  

Lee Majors

Tractor
Ls 3033H & Bobcat CT235
Right now I've got a 72" king kutter dual side discharge. My LS 3033 apparently has more torque then the mower can handle and it slips the belts in tall grass. Is there a better quality finish mower that can handle tall grass without slipping mower belts? I've adjusted the tension on the belts, new spindles, sharpened blades & raised my PTO RPM without it helping at all.

My parents have a rear discharge version of mine and i've used it several times, although its better then mine its still not as strong as my commercial mowers.
I own a lawn maintenance business by trade so im used to the power that they transfer to the deck where the motor will bog before the belts will slip.

/ Better quality finish mower? #2  
I have a 1991 Farm King that I converted to a rear discharge mower. I have no problems keeping the belts tight enough to make the tractor work.

/ Better quality finish mower? #3  
I have kk 72" side discharge mower. If It's a finish mower, no way will the belt slip if used right. With that said, i mow my field with mine, if grass is too tall, raise front end up some. Only replaced belt once in almost 20 yrs. Have to slow down in real tall stuff. 0508181856_HDR.jpeg

/ Better quality finish mower? #4  
This Woods does not slip,,, yet,,, when powered by a 41HP John Deere,,

PAqrlPY.jpg

The mower simply ejects everything out the back.

I cut 3 foot tall grass with it,, it looked like mowed hay, the only reason to slow down is to get a better cut.
When cutting 3 foot tall grass, the cut looks more like a flail mower cut than a finish mower cut,,,

This mower gives the best cut of any mower I have ever owned, GT, dedicated mower, or tractor mounted,,,

/ Better quality finish mower? #5  
Perhaps the tension spring is weak, or in the wrong location? OR maybe you are just going too fast for conditions.

IF you actually look at HP ratings for single B-section belts, using all the pulley diameters and speeds.....it would be an eye-opener. Nothing in industrial stuff would ever be designed the way mowers are. And that not just rear mowers. Thats ZTR's too. Most pulley and speed combos of current mowers.....a single B-section belt is actually only good for about half the HP we are feeding them. Mowers get away with it because you arent always pushing it to the max. And replacing belts 2 or 3 times in 1000hrs use (about 300-500hrs per belt) is considered acceptable. That would never fly in an industrial setting.

But regarding your issue, it would help us to understand just how tall/thick the grass is you are cutting. And just how fast are you trying to mow it? Because a belt drive finish mower may not be the right tool for the job. A bushhog or flail might yield better results

/ Better quality finish mower? #6  
I had a 16' triplex Alamo wing mower. PTO direct drive. The belts never slipped, but it would not cut tall grass. It was all rear discharge (the only game in town). I reconfigured the machine to sit higher off the ground, beyond the normal wheel adjustments, so I could cut long grass, but then it is not really a finishing mower. But I liked the good cut and high speed over a bush hog type mower. Just the noise was cool!

I also often cut late in the fall when vegetation has dried up.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

/ Better quality finish mower? #7  
Perhaps the tension spring is weak, or in the wrong location? OR maybe you are just going too fast for conditions.

IF you actually look at HP ratings for single B-section belts, using all the pulley diameters and speeds.....it would be an eye-opener. Nothing in industrial stuff would ever be designed the way mowers are. And that not just rear mowers. Thats ZTR's too. Most pulley and speed combos of current mowers.....a single B-section belt is actually only good for about half the HP we are feeding them. Mowers get away with it because you arent always pushing it to the max. And replacing belts 2 or 3 times in 1000hrs use (about 300-500hrs per belt) is considered acceptable. That would never fly in an industrial setting.

But regarding your issue, it would help us to understand just how tall/thick the grass is you are cutting. And just how fast are you trying to mow it? Because a belt drive finish mower may not be the right tool for the job. A bushhog or flail might yield better results

I work on a fully hydraulic portable 34hp sawmill. The hydraulic pump was powered by a belt rated for less than 1hp. Big shock that they never lasted very long.

/ Better quality finish mower? #8  
I had a 16' triplex Alamo wing mower. PTO direct drive. The belts never slipped, but it would not cut tall grass. It was all rear discharge (the only game in town). I reconfigured the machine to sit higher off the ground, beyond the normal wheel adjustments, so I could cut long grass, but then it is not really a finishing mower. But I liked the good cut and high speed over a bush hog type mower. Just the noise was cool!

I also often cut late in the fall when vegetation has dried up.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

How did you set up your 16' triplex Alamo wing mower to cut higher?

What is the max height can you cut at?

/ Better quality finish mower? #9  
Last year, my finish mower was not doing the job, belt slipping in heavy grass, just not working as well as it had. I had stored it outside under tarp that winter and when I pulled the covers all looked ok, with some rust here and there. Turns out the pivot on the tensioner was frozen. I cleaned things up and replaced belt, sharpened blades. All good then. I stored inside shop this last winter and need to sharpen blades, but am hoping everything else is good to go. I am behind again this year on my mowing so much of the grass is 5-6' tall (in low areas that are wet or sub irrigated)... not as tall on the hillsides.

Make sure the pivot is lubed and rotates properly. If you got oil or grease on belt, clean things up and replace the belt.

/ Better quality finish mower? #10  
Right now I've got a 72" king kutter dual side discharge. My LS 3033 apparently has more torque then the mower can handle and it slips the belts in tall grass. Is there a better quality finish mower that can handle tall grass without slipping mower belts? I've adjusted the tension on the belts, new spindles, sharpened blades & raised my PTO RPM without it helping at all.

My parents have a rear discharge version of mine and i've used it several times, although its better then mine its still not as strong as my commercial mowers.
I own a lawn maintenance business by trade so im used to the power that they transfer to the deck where the motor will bog before the belts will slip.

How about some pictures of it with the covers off? Maybe someone will notice something. Never hurts to have an extra pair of eyes on it, or, in this case, a couple hundred. :eek: