Exhaust pipe rain cover

/ Exhaust pipe rain cover #1  

TomG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1710: Loader, Hoe, Snowblower, Box scrapper & 3ph Forks
The tractor has to sit outside after I moved it to our other place for awhile. I couldn't find a small can to put over the exhaust pipe, so I tied a plastic bag over the end.

Now I start thinking. Gee, I wonder if I'm sealing in more moisture from exhaust gases remaining in the manifold than I'm keeping out from any rain that comes along. I wonder if I should remember to take a small can from home, and then hope it doesn't blow off.

/ Exhaust pipe rain cover #2  
TomG, there's not going to be much moisture in the exhaust gases, unless the tractor hasn't warmed up before you shut it off. If you're concerned about it, though, you could make a can that would sit up off the top of the pipe a little - but I think it's more trouble than it's worth. (Maybe Bird would liken it to using Amsoil in a tractor that'll outlast you without it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

Mark

/ Exhaust pipe rain cover #3  
I think that's a good analogy, Mark./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Exhaust pipe rain cover
Thanks. That's what I thought too. If I spent more time trying to think less, then I'd probably have more time.

Since, at times, this forum seems to be something like Rome--All discussions led to oil--I'll ask a question. Any idea of the difference between Ford/NH 134 and Ford/NH F200 hydraulic oil? I ended up with 5 gallons of each. I think the F200 is a multi-season version of the standard 134.

Coming up on my 600-hour oil change. Don't know if the oils mix, or if it's worth driving 300 miles to exchange the 134. It gets real cold here in the winter.

/ Exhaust pipe rain cover #6  
TomG - I don't know, personally. What I'd recommend, though, is... no, never mind. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark

/ Exhaust pipe rain cover #7  
I had a counterweighted rain flapper on my exhaust pipe. The rattle was driving me nuts. So a veggy can was put into service. Even painted the can to match. Works well ... if I can remember to put the can on the pipe after using the machine.

/ Exhaust pipe rain cover #8  
That's all the farmers in my family have ever used, a (coffee) can on a stick.