Default haybine

Has anybody run a haybine with a compact tractor? What would be the minimum horsepower for a eight foot model to work properly? Thanks for any comments.

Tractor
    all makes and models

Default Re: haybine

Most all haybines require 30 pto horsepower. The only thing to worry about is if your have hills as they are out to the side and will throw a tractor around if on step hills and to small tractor is used.

Bruce, Art probably knows more about this than I, but John Deere's web site for their 7' 9" (model 710) says is weighs about 3180 pounds and calls for "35 PTO hp or larger". That's the smallest one they list. I believe the 9' Gehl that I've used called for 50hp. You might be able to do the job with a smaller tractor, but you probably wouldn't like it.

Bird

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

I wouldn't do it with a compact tractor and I do everything with mine. I tryed it on a 9 foot model and it was a no go. This was a brand new one as well. I know you said 8 foot but I don't think I could have handled an eight foot one either. I can run the rake and square baler no problem but need the massey for my haybine, 9 foot.

Your PTO HP is only part of the equation... your tractor weight is another...

Even a 3800 lb. tractor with 60 PTO hp {I'm sure someone has one [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]} would be a struggle with a 3300 lb. haybine...

It's like the "tail wagging the dog" or have you seen a can do everything Toyota 4WD Tacoma towing a 24' Cruiser Boat up a mountainside or steep grade...

You just need a little more "umph" to tow something that heavy versus a semi-light weight compact tractor.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300

My Case DC is rated in the mid 30 (HP wise) Normally a baler, rake, cutter-conditione, 3 bottom plow,or 8' disk is no problem for it, but it was really struggeling with a 8 foot haybine. Tractor weight was OK (4600 Lbs) but PTO just didn't have it. I would guess something with 45 HP would be minimum if you want the tractor to last.

Steve