Need advice on cutting hay

/ Need advice on cutting hay #1  

idaho04

Bronze Member
We have about 45 acres hay field with my neighbor, my portion is about 20 acres. It grows a mix grass of fairly good hay for horses and cattle. Until now we had it cut and bailed by a friend farmer who took 2/3 of the hay. I decided to do the hay myself. I found a nice bailer and rake but I do not have anything to cut the hay with.

What do I need for my Ford 1900 to cut my hay. It will have to be an older equipment? Small swather, sickle, other, what are the models?

/ Need advice on cutting hay #3  
Weight and hp of a Ford 1900?

I missed where you live too, is it dry, how many bales per acre do you normally get?

Without knowing that, can you hire the guy who normally hays to mow for you? A decent mower conditioner is $$$.

The options are:
mounted disc/drum/sickle bar - these mount on your 3 point hitch, generally no conditioning rollers in the sizes you are talking about.

Used single action sickles cheap, annoying if you don't know know how to setup, many times have poor repair work on them. Slow.

Drum, cheap, available new for decent price, simple, blades cheap easy to repair.

Disc, works similar to drum, more complicated / expensive to buy and repair, cheap blades, the best option for tough crops of all sorts.

Double action sickles, I don't know anything about them. Hear they cut almost on par with disc and drums.

Trailed Mower Conditioners:
disc / drum / sickle bar varieties.

Drum are near impossible to find so don't even worry.

Disc are $$ if in good shape, not worth the bother if in poor shape. A good disc m-c is the standard hay mowing tool now.

Sickle bar m-c can be had cheap, some are in bad shape some are in great shape. For your acres, this would be the area to look at if you need conditioning. Check the conditioning rollers, don't bother if the rubber is coming off, it is $$ to fix. Look under the side the pto shaft goes into, there is an arm attached to the sickle bar, check for leaks from the gear box this goes into. Check chains and sprockets for wear.

For more info go to www.ytmag.com in the implements forum.

/ Need advice on cutting hay #4  
A Ford 1900 has 26.5 PTO HP when new. You can handle a CCM T-135 drum mower.
135%20DRUM%20MOWER.JPG

You do not have enough HP for a disc mower. You can handle a single action or double action sicklebar mower.

/ Need advice on cutting hay
Thanks everybody for quick reply. I live in No ID, we cut only once as we do not water or fertilize the field. It is a mixed grass and we get only about 1 ton per acre. I will try to do better job disking and harrowing the field to get more. It is fairly dry in summer and flat. I can have it cut by someone but I could use all the hay myself. I responded too late to an ad and missed the swather for #1,000. Everyone here uses swather, I haven't seen anyone using disk, drum or sickle.

/ Need advice on cutting hay #7  
Haying in the East is a little bit different for 2 reasons: smaller fields and 35-65" of rain a year.

/ Need advice on cutting hay #8  
Here is the best advice you can get on cutting hay: Don't start! Buy your hay you will be much better off. You'll look up in a few years and wonder why you spent so much money just to work. I know if Ihad it to do over I would not buy what I have bought.

/ Need advice on cutting hay #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here is the best advice you can get on cutting hay: Don't start! Buy your hay you will be much better off. You'll look up in a few years and wonder why you spent so much money just to work. I know if Ihad it to do over I would not buy what I have bought. )</font>

About as sound as any advice can get..... If you're not putting up more than a couple thousand bales a year, it is FAR cheaper to buy your hay. Even over the "long haul" it pencils out as a bad investment buying mower/tedder/rake/baler/wagon(s)/twine/labor for just a small amount. JMHO, and worth what you just paid for it! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Need advice on cutting hay #10  
<font color="blue"> About as sound as any advice can get </font>

Unless? You are looking for a way to help on the income tax situation or for some odd reason like being in the fresh air and out of the office, plus, not dependent on a third party for feed for the animals /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif--Ken Sweet