A new rear tire with an old one

/ A new rear tire with an old one #1  

Rch

Platinum Member
Tractor
1986 Ford 1910 with 770B (FORD) loader, 4 MFWD; 1986 Bolens G214,back hoe,loader,MFWD (Iseki) 21 hp)
On the rear of my 4 wheel drive Ford 1910 one of the tires (13.6 X24") has split the side wall and has to be replaced. There is around 860 hours on the tires and the lugs are barely wore ( 10 - 15 %). Do I have to replace both?

RCH

/ A new rear tire with an old one #2  
RCH,
If the older one isn't wore very much you would be ok to just put one on.
But if it is not very old make the manufacture replace it, if they are defective for free or at a very reduced price. I had both of my front tires replaced because of the cords coming apart. I had to pay some, but very very little. Go to their Internet site and check out their warranties.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ A new rear tire with an old one #3  
What kind of tire? What happened to it? That's the size of front tires on my loader tractor. I've put them through alot over the years and never had a side wall problem,so I'm interested in the cause of your dilema.

/ A new rear tire with an old one #4  
nav_logo_top.jpg

nav_logo_bottom_blue.gif

Ray,

Was the tractor keep outside?

Periodically, use an ArmorAll type product on the sidewalls for some UV protection...{not for shiny looks}, extends the life of the sidewalls greatly...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ A new rear tire with an old one
The tires are the original 15 y/o set. They are Firestones 13.6 x 24 4 ply 'Road & Field' agriculture tires. There is a split through the side wall perpendicular to the bead about 4' long with the tube peeking through. There is no visible sun damage.The tractor is out side under a shade tree 7 months and shedded in the winter.
The side walls of the front 600 x 16s busted also, The tractor has had a lot of heavy loader use and periods of under inflation. The fronts cost me $123, both mounted and old tires disposed. I'm going to be more carefull and run the pressure 28 to 35 lbs.They are 4 ply also.They had been at 12 to 16 lbs and I had run them flat from a leak once.
The rear tire is $240 unmounted to replace, $280 for an 8 ply. I'm going to keep these at 10 to 14 lbs. They had been at 6 to 8 lbs. I'll replace with the same 4 ply. It's about $80 for a house call, no fluid.

RCH<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rch on 07/03/01 08:59 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ A new rear tire with an old one #6  
RCH, you probably already know, but just remember, you should not exceed the maximum rating on the tire. If you're using a loader, you certainly should be filling to near max, but do not go over. Tire exploding is not pretty and has resulted in significant damage and even death to the person filling. I personally know of one individual that will live the rest of his life in an assisted-living home due to brain damage from an exploding tire. You should also consider whether the tire is designed for the weight you are putting on with the loader. You may be overloading the tire, nomatter what pressure you put in. Just a typical rule for ag tires: Fronts, if R1 - 4 ply: 8-20 psi, if rib, F2 - 4 ply: 20-40 psi. Rear, if R1 - 4 ply: 12-18 psi. Whatever you do, don't go over the rating. Also, just because you've kept it in the shade doesn't mean you've ceased the drying out of the rubber. Rubber that is never in the sun, still dries out. It's just that it is greatly accelerated in sunlight. Also, note that there is still a lot of reflected light in the shade. Think about how much light comes into a home or barn, from all the windows or doors that are open but not on the sunny side. Sounds like your on the right track, but please just be careful. Good luck with that warranty pursuit. I think you've got a good case. ... Duane

I brought the single 4 ply rear tire, I removed it and transported it my self- $288 mounted and old one disposed ($8). No warrenty- 15 years old. One irritating thing was the dealer mounted the tire reverse and I had to flip the center dish and now the valve stem is on the outside while the old tire has it on the inside. I'm running the new tire 2 lbs less than the old to compensate for the wear difference. The wear difference is more like 25% when you have the two tires side by side. The dealer didn't think that would hurt anything as did a responder to my initial query on this thread. I suppose some spider gears will get some extra use. I went with the same 4 plys so as not to aggravate the circumferential difference with an 8 ply. When buying new this is a point that should be considered.

RCH

/ A new rear tire with an old one #8  
Firestone? Ford? I think I have heard about them in the news here recently,I forget what it was about .

Hillbilly, the original tires were made in Japan, the replacement in th USA. The tread design and everything is identical except that "Made in USA" raised print.

RCH

/ A new rear tire with an old one #10  
<font color=red>Firestone? Ford? I think I have heard about them in the news here recently,I forget what it was about </font color=red>

I just got a set of these tires for my Ingersoll. I got a lot of ribbing from the guys at work about them exploding. I told them they should be safe at there top speed of 10mph./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif