Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5420 MFWD 541 FEL JD X758

Default Re: New Idea Cut/ditioner

I was thinking about hay equipment again and I thought I would update this post. I learned alot about this machine and thought that I would share this knowledge with others.

I got the NI Cut/ditioner up and running to make hay this past summer. Just added new bearings for the anti-scalp roller and a belt. Total cost less than $250. I freed the blades with LOTS of lubricant and even more banging of a ballpaen hammer. Also resharpened the flail blades. I decided not to repair/replace the rock guard after consulting with my uncle on the subject. I seems to operate low enough to the ground to prevent personal injury. Still considering adding a piece of belting to prevent projectiles.

The unit cut hay like a champ and really did a fine job conditioning the hay. I was able to cut in the afternoon of day 1, rake the morning of day 2 and bail later that afternoon. Made nice soft hay and the horses love it. Even the later stuff that was a bit stalky while standing is now very palletable.

My baler broke down during first cutting and I had about 100 bales get rained on in a windrow. I simply ran over that hay again with the Cut/ditioner with the windrow adjustment all the way out and it did a real good job spreading out the hay and getting it fluffed. Bale that hay the following day. It was a little discolored from being wet, but still good hay.

Also, I worked two fields for mulch hay that hadn't been worked in years. I hit a ~3 inch diameter tree branch HARD with the cut/ditioner. Actually jammed up between the rotor and the hood. Dinged up the corner of one of the blades, which I resharpened easily. The inertia of the blades keeps this device turning a long time. I would have hated to see that happen to a MOCO or mower conditioner. That would have cost some bucks!

My JD was easily able to handle the unit. Never even bogged down. I was able to mow at ~ 4 mph in heavy timothy (~110-150 bales/acre), which is about as fast as I dared travel due to the rough ground (had the unit airbourne at least 4-5 times [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).

Overall, I am very pleased with the machine. I certainly think that it is a keeper! For what I am doing, the machine works perfectly.

Tractor
    JD 4110

So can we see a picture of this thing?
    Cliff

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

This is what is should look like. It is not very fancy but does what it is intended to do.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5420 MFWD 541 FEL JD X758

Robert,

My unit is much older and much boxier. The top on mine is flat, not rounded. Same basic idea, just different sheet metal. I will have to get a digital camera so I can upload some photos.

Mark

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I know what you are talking about. Looks just like a big box. That is how the one I tried out was designed. The one pictured is one of the few I found online.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
    So can we see a picture of this thing?
    Cliff )</font>

Cliff...you might have seen one of these at my place. This is what Andy used on my field. It's also what I will be using this year (I bought it from him).

Dave

Tractor
    JD 4110

Dave,
    No, the grass was already hay by the time I got there. The New Idea was already gone. Wouldn't mind seeing it in action this year though. Kind of curious.

Can you pull it with your JD or do you need the ag tractor you've been looking for to pull it?

Cliff

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dave,
    No, the grass was already hay by the time I got there. The New Idea was already gone. Wouldn't mind seeing it in action this year though. Kind of curious.

Can you pull it with your JD or do you need the ag tractor you've been looking for to pull it?

Cliff
    )</font>

Definitely not doable with my little one. That is the exact reason I have been looking at a bigger tractor. I think I have settled on an Oliver 1850 (or a 1650, but everything in this thread and YT says this mower needs more HP and the 1850 has an advantage there.)

Tractor
    none

i know it's been years since anything has been said on this post but i'm gonna speak up here anyways. i dairy farmed in the 70's in northern indiana and probably the two best investments i made was a Lely Roterra 10 footer and the 279 9 foot New Idea cut/ditioner. before we had a mow/ditioner and used it alot till the down time was too much. the first time i saw the cut/ditioner, i knew it was an amazing design. i bought it and once i started using it, i couldn't stop. i had a IH 656 tractor and it had plenty of power to pull and power the mower. it did hay, straw, soybean stems and especially great with corn stalks for baling. if i were able to farm today, that would be my most sought after machine for making hay. i didn't even need to use the rake anymore. i used the cut/ditioner to go over the downed hay again and would increase the ground speed and lower the r.p.m. and just fluff the hay over. doing it in the morning shook off the dew and it would dry in a few hours. were able to chop or bale a day earlier at times. as far as this machine is concerned, it was the best design ever in my life and experience. too bad the younger farmers couldn't experience the enjoyment of making hay the way i experienced. great memories. thanks for reading.

Tractor
    none

your picture of yours is exactly like the one i had on my dairy farm. it was the best investment i ever made in my time of farming. once i got started on a hay field, i didn't stop till it was all done. and working it on heavy canary grass was nice too. but the best thing about this maching was windrowing corn stalks. it would just suck everything up and crunch it enough to soften it and make a beautiful windrow for baling. i baled with both a square baler and a small round baler and the bales were nice and fluffy and tight. being able to vacuum up all the leaves and husk was great and the cows and calves ate alot of the bale before using the rest for bedding. i'm sorry for rambling but i will not be able to say enough for this maching in my history. i wish you lots of the same good memories in using it and even hope you could make a youtube video of it in use so others can watch it perform. keep the zerts grease and take care of it and it will do well for you. thanks for the picture. it brings back alot of memories for me. really cool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast