What model swather am I looking for?

/ What model swather am I looking for? #1  

idaho04

Bronze Member
I have the JD 24T baler. What is the model of JD swather that matches my small JD baler?

/ What model swather am I looking for? #2  
It sounds like you are in an area where you don't need to ted the hay out to dry. Originally your baler would have picked up a windrow from a rake probably 7-9 ft wide. The hay would have likely been cut with a sickle bar mower 7 ft long.

Many people would use a 7 or 9ft mower conditioner with the windrow set to the desired width and use a rake the same width or bale straight from the windrow if you have a really dry area.

That baler is much slower than a modern baler so if you have heavy windrows from either wide cut or heavy hay, you will need to go slow. Many antique tractors don't have low enough gears to do this and have to be careful of windrow size.

/ What model swather am I looking for? #3  
i think slowzuki is right on w/ his info. we have a 24t baler and currently use a 7ft jd#7 sickle mower to cut and a nh crimper for the conditioning. then ted and rake our hay into windrows.so a swather that is in the 7-9 ft range would probably be best suited for you, unless you use a tedder and then rake it into windrows. i'm not too sure that the 24t would be able to handle some of the windrows that the newer larger rotary rakes can produce, esp if heavy grass. the 24t is a much slower baler compared to the newer models. on 1st cutting or very thick hay you need to keep your speed in check as if you go too fast it will over load the chamber and chute. good luck in the swather search.