Small Ford baler

/ Small Ford baler #1  

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
I've inherited a small square baler that may date from the '50s or '60s. It's red with a grey takeup deck and prominent Ford decals. The Ford dataplate gives:
Series: I4-80
Component: 504-I
and a serial number. Other than the Ford logos, there's no other markings. Paint is original.

The takeup deck is 4ft. wide. The PTO shaft is offset (toward the outside) from the main drive shaft and drives the main drive shift through a sprocket and chain. The flywheel is on the end of the main drive shaft.

There's an oscillating arm that moves back and forth in the horizontal plane with three vertical fingers on the end (hinged) that helps sweep the hay from the takeup deck and feed it to the plunger. The auger at the top of the takeup deck is small and short, ending just outside the arm's path of motion. The baler's in good shape with almost no rust, has been stored inside and worked very well the last few seasons it was used (about 10 years ago).

Does anyone know what model baler this is, about when it was made and where I could find manuals for it? Are parts available? Is it worth putting money into? Could I run this thing with my Kubota L4300 without worrying about damaging the PTO?

Hope this was clear. Thanks.
Bob

/ Small Ford baler #2  
I have a friend who had a Ford baler, about the same vintage as you describe. He really liked it and it performed well with one exception...kept breaking needles. Come to find out the timing was off and no fault of the mechanical parts of the baler. Once the timing was reset...it baled like any of the best.

In looking for a manual....try Ebay and do a search on Ford baler manuals as you described on the model number. That's the way I got the manuals for my NH round baler.

Best of luck...

/ Small Ford baler #3  
I would check with a Ford/NH dealer for the owners manual, they probably still have them or could get them. I have picked up owners manuals for a Ford Jubilee and an old MF baler at the dealers.

/ Small Ford baler #4  
The original Ford balers were the 150, 250 and 350. These were the only Ford balers to have the red paint on them that I know of. After this series Ford went to Blue paint on the balers until they aquired New Holland. I will check a couple of my books and see if I can find any more info out.

/ Small Ford baler
Thanks, Robert. The effort is appreciated.
Bob