Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

Default Re: Opinions on Round Balers

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( True (except for the AutoTie monitor option - MF has always had it and HS and NI has some units without it) but there are considerably more MF dealers around so the likelihood of seeing one at a dealership will be greater with MF. )</font>

I think that would depend upon what region you are in. All the nearby Agco dealers up here are based on Oliver/White tractors, &amp; Gleaner combines. Practicly no hay equipment at all. What MF dealers used to be within 100 miles of me mostly sold out 10 years ago, think there is one active one about 60 miles from me.

I'll see 15 Oliver tractors in use for every MF around here. Out of 100 balers, maybe 1 or 2 will be MF. Not knocking any brand, all the same company now anyhow, but just - things are different in different areas. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

---&gt;Paul

I was just speaking of the region I am familiar with. Lately, it has been easier to see a MF branded hay baler at MF dealers where you used to see some NI and HS. Good point on the supply of previous MF hay equipment, but I think it would be very hard to find any brand that hasn't, isn't or will not be taking some product from different sources.

Hit post a little soon! I left off my close.

In the end, I recommend what you have previously stated that all balers do a good job these days. The important factors relate more to dealer support and the unit's true value (not purchase price) down the road than they do to the actual piece of machinery.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    NH TC25D

<font color="blue"> Hit post a little soon! I left off my close. </font>
    You can edit your own posts. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN90F; BX-2200; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark XP

I just bought my first round baler, a Case IH model 8420, so soon as I pick it up and get going with it, I'll let you know what my experience is (may bale some clippings from our overgrown areas just to get rid of some for the winter).

My photos (including Case 8420 &amp; NH 1002)

Over the past few months I have baled over 1600 small square bales of mixed stuff here in VA with a rather old NH 273 (and I have another one for backup). Total investment, both, &lt;$2500. It won't handle but so big a windrow and will mistie if I use the wrong twine (too thin), but otherwise I am amazed at its productivity and resilience. Sometimes bales will tend toward a "banana" shape, esp if I feed it too fast, too unevenly or with too dry hay.

And it was not the finest in producing bales for the NH 1033 bale wagon I was trying out, though its own problems were probably synergistic with those of the wagon (which I declined after fully evaling it--many bad welds, etc). I am told newer balers do a much better bale for the stack wagons.

I have no experience with a newer square baler to compare against.

With the Case round baler I also bought a very old and rusty NH 1002 stack wagon, so we will see!

I'm going to post separately about modifying my new 8420 Case and working on the 1002, hope you folks can help [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

HTH

Jim

Tractor
    MH 44

I am looking at used balers and found 4 JD 535 for $5000, NH 848 for $4,750, NH 545 for $3,800 and a NI 4844 for $3.000. I am a first time buyer with about 20 acres flat. I am just starting to buy equipment to bale and need to keep my cost down, but also want one that is not going to be a lot of trouble.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by myrnarud View Post
    I am looking at used balers and found 4 JD 535 for $5000, NH 848 for $4,750, NH 545 for $3,800 and a NI 4844 for $3.000. I am a first time buyer with about 20 acres flat. I am just starting to buy equipment to bale and need to keep my cost down, but also want one that is not going to be a lot of trouble.
    Any baler in that age/price range can be a money pit. Know what you are looking at, or pay somebody you trust that does. NH didn't make a 545 that I ever heard of, and I would avoid the 848.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

jd 535 for sure.

Tractor
    JD 4840, 450j, 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35

Quote Originally Posted by cowski View Post
    jd 535 for sure.
    X2....

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 2240, Long 445, KAMA TS354C

I personally like the old nh chain balers. After running my neighbors 845 for a couple of seasons. I bought an 849 for myself. I took a chance on it for 2500. I bought mine as a dealer trade in. It sheared the pickup pin twice before I figured out it was over filling and both arms on the auto wrap were bent. After correcting those 2 problems it's worth what I paid for it plus. It runs flawlessly. The 849 is a 5x5 baler and my 42 pto hp long runs it just as easily as my 50 pto john deere. I could tell from the lack of rust it had been stored inside. This was a major factor in my decision to buy it. I'm cutting 30 acres twice a year.
    It makes a good tight bale but, not as tight as the newer belt balers.
    Edit. That is too much money for an 848 two to 3k max in working condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12