Opinions on Round Balers

/ Opinions on Round Balers #1  

farming

While were at it... what are you all using for Round Baling? Any pros or cons between the Brands and Models? Thanks.

/ Opinions on Round Balers #2  
The only round baler I have had experience with is a New Holland 650. I think it was their medium-size baler. I only put up about 400 1000 lb rolls per year. After five years, it still rolls a good, tight roll. I don't think I've had over two days of down time in the five years I have used it. When it works, the automatic tie system is a dream--you just stop the tractor, let it tie, dump the bale, and go on. It works flawlessly about 99% of the time. I think the twine you use has more to do with the auto tie system than anything else. I am the only one who operates the machine, and that is always better than having "hired help" who might abuse your machinery.

I'm sure the JD and Vermeer folks will chime in. I'm sure they are good machines, too.

/ Opinions on Round Balers #3  
I've used Hesston and CIH. The CIH was made by Hesston for CIH. My 8430 puts out a bale that's 43" wide and 54" tall. Weighs from 900-1000 pounds,depending on what I'm rolling at the time. I've replaced the roller chain once and flipped the twine cutter knife over once. Other than that it's been trouble free. It's electric tie but manual with a toggle switch.

Most round balers are pretty simple. The bells and whistles are great until they start giving problems. When ever I trade or buy new I'll sure take a good look at the Vemeer Rebel. My BIL has one and I've watched several around here run. For the price of the Rebel it looks like more bang for the buck than any on the market.

But for now I'll keep running my CIH. Bales fit the shed for maximun storage space. Light enough that it isn't hard on the loader tractor. Easy to load on a truck or trailer and doesn't hang off the sides of the bed. Some states are cracking down on loads that hang over now.

Lots of good round balers out there. Just depends on how much you want to spend and size.

/ Opinions on Round Balers #4  
All companies seem to improve their round balers by generation. A new machine is better than an old machine - by quite a bit. But from green to yellow to red, if you compare the same age machines, they are fairly close.

I borrowed my neighbor's old Gehl 1450, worked ok for an older one. Borrowed his brand new Case machine the next year - well for $19,000 it better work real good! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Bought an old beater Vermeer 605F the next year, works fine for me. Seems Vermeer invented the things, and they are perhaps one small step ahead in the development, if you compare like models.

Hyd pressure is better than only spring pressure; belts are the best, tho the chain balers do very well at 'odd' crops like cornstalks but beat leaves off of alfalfa; open throat design is good, closed throat is difficult, and so on.

--->Paul

/ Opinions on Round Balers #5  
farming,

We sell a 100+ new and used round balers a year. The NH, NI, Hesston, JD, Case/IH, Gehl, M&W, Krone, Class, Vicon & Vermeer will all bale hay. We sell Vermeer and M&W new. The key to baler satisfaction is matching the baler to your situation. Tractor size, wet or dry hay production or doing both have with the same baler have more to do with the baler choice than you might think. Twine tie choices and monitors desired also a great deal to do with what someone might choose. Some customers like automation and some do not. Some customers want to bale in road gear and others want to use bull-dog low. Some customers live in the flat lands and others live in the mountains. Some customers purchase new and some purchase used balers. Price does influence some customers more than others. The more information you can give a dealer the better chance they have of meeting your needs.
Mark Carter

/ Opinions on Round Balers #7  
The MF baler are the same as the current AGCO: Hesston/ New Idea round balers. Just rebranded.

/ Opinions on Round Balers #8  
I ran a JD 4x4 round baler for 12 years. I put about 1000 bales a year through it. In thick windrows, I kicked out a bale about once a minute. This baler had manual tie (hydraulic) and manual gate. It was mentally tiring to work all of the controls in the proper sequence, once a minute. About the time you dumped one bale it was time for another. If you daydreamed for a couple of seconds you would either made an oversized bale or dumped one that wasn't tied.

I bought a new JD 4x5 last year with the BaleTrak computer. I highly recommend getting one with a computer. If you are just a hobby farmer baling a few acres (that you didn't even fertilize) then a manual would be fine.

BTW, don't believe the weight that any manufacturer tells you that a baler will produce.

My 4x4 was rated at 750 lbs, my coastal bales actually weighed 600
My 4x5 is rated at 1100 lbs, actually weigh about 950.

This depends on what type of hay that you bale and of course the moisture content.

Smart farmers buy hay by the ton, not by the bale

/ Opinions on Round Balers #9  
True (except for the AutoTie monitor option - MF has always had it and HS and NI has some units without it) but there are considerably more MF dealers around so the likelihood of seeing one at a dealership will be greater with MF.

/ Opinions on Round Balers #10  
IN hay tools NI and Hesston are MFG's that have been around longer showing stability. MF has never MFG'ed its own Round balers. Vermeer, Gehl, PZ, PMI, and Hesston have all made balers for MF since the late 1980's. If you go to a MF dealer for parts, likely they will send you to the true MFG's brand dealership. AGCO branding of it's round bale production listed in order of stocking dealers and brand sales is Hesston, New Idea & MF in that order. There are more MF tractor dealers but they are not selling the MF branded balers. These dealers sell either Hesston or New Idea because of brand awareness in haytools.