1086 International

/ 1086 International #1  

unreconstructed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325 JD 5203 JD 2320 LT 133
I have a 1086 International that was my Dad's. It is locked in reverse and am hoping its not a major repair.

Does anyone on TBN have one of these tractors?

Thanks much

G. Bates.

/ 1086 International #2  
Remove the cab floor, you will see the shift linkage. Should be able to wiggle them back into gear. Check the bolts where the shift gos into the trans, they like to come loose.

/ 1086 International
I appreciate it much. Will see what I come up with.

Hope you have a good year. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1086 International #4  
Don't knowif it's the saem set up but i was workgin in a 986 not too long ago that did that, I pried on the shift lever in the cab and it came out. The big collar that moves between park and reverse moved into park while the lever moved towards the forward gears (I tried to shift fast) . Pried it back to the center positon between park and reverse and all was ok!

/ 1086 International #5  
This is caused by loose or worn shift linkages. I am told that you can get an old pocket knife and try to pry one of the linkages away. The gears are overlapped that shouldn't be. It may help to have the tractor on flat ground with no load on the gears.

/ 1086 International #6  
With all my older IH question and parts needs we use the Bates Corp. , they are a older IH one stop shop! Good luck with yours.