Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor

/ Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills
2000-06-09

Finally our new tractor is on its way from MI. A moving van is bringing it to our dealer on backhaul.

Now for the loader. With its compact size and supersteer front axle, options seem to be limited to the Quicke and Woods line.

From the sales puff so far, Quicke seems to be a Cadillac, Euro (Swedish), high-spec device. Woods is, well, Woods. And the reputed current availability problems there are no help.

The available bells and whistles for Quicke are staggering:
Auto bucket angling
hydraulic powered hose connections
An electrohydraulic joystick that looks like a Tonka toy but apparently gives fingertip control to as many as 4 sets of functions
Soft drive--hydraulically cushions loads being carried to avoid upsets
And more...

Can anyone shed any light on these loaders for me, esp the Quicke? Since Quicke/Alo does not make small units (for less than a utility tractor), I have never come across one until now.

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Jim Hardwick
Virginia

(for casual reading, go to
http://www.richmond.com/StyleWeekly/output.cfm?ID=777218)

/ Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor #2  
jgh, you say you "never come across one until now." I've never even heard of a Quicke/Alo (or is it Alo/Quicke?). Sounds like an impressive loader. Is it priced accordingly?

Bird

/ Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor
2000-06-09

Bird, first let me congratulate you on being (computer-selected) the Poster of the Month. All kidding aside, that just confirms that you are probably the most helpful person on this list.

<font color=orange>Now if you would just get real tractor....</font color=orange>/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Been to the Alo www site, very, very good one. Their sales brochure is worthy of a computer mfr. Both book & www are very Euro. And these guys are marketing to farmers.

<font color=blue>My TN90F hit the dealer today at 11 AM.</font color=blue> The long nightmare is about over! For my wife, I mean.

Prices on Alo. I don't have quotes but the list prices are fairly "strong", if you get TimTaylorish on the options. I asked the Alo rep and he inferred that the discount schedule to dealers was more like Woods than Bush Hog, meaning that dealer costs are a lower % of list rather than higher, so it gets murky.

For example, a JD 541 MSL loader lists for c$4900+900 for scv & joystick, plus a other extras like hood guards, etc. The Quicke Q930 which seems a better, more versatile product lists at $6562+bucket (did not price since I will be using a 4 in one, na from Quicke).

One other note: Quicke is reluctant to agree to use their Q930 on my TNF, even though they will allow the 940 to go on a TN75S, a lighter, shorter and taller tractor! Go figure. There is only $90 difference in list price, but the reach on the 930 is 10" longer, a real plus in my applications.

I will know more when the actual selling prices come in. Dealer & I have talked about $750 over his cost, plus install, for it, but I told him I thought that was high considering how complete everything comes from the factory on the Quicke. We will see.

Woods specifies the 1027 loader for this tractor, but I have not even list-priced it yet.

The picture is from one on a dealer lot that we looked at in PA. Wife driving.

Thanks,
Jim

/ Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor #5  
My experience with non OEM loaders would not lead me to do it again. There are a LOT of considerations on integrating a loader to a tractor. The supersteer and 4WD are just two of those. Why not buy the New Holland loader? I read carefully the quicki advertising blurps and most of it was fluff. Not one single thing that was appreciable different than any other loader, they just made up a name for it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Many differences in loader specifications are not real. They just use a different set of rules for measuring them./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The reason most manufacturers are reluctant to agree to a particular configuration is because they KNOW there is a problem or they SUSPECT there is a problem. Loaders are very stressful on tractors and the subframe carries a lot of the load away from the tractor. The hydraulic system must also match very precisely with the loader. The geometry (of course) must work with the front wheels and all of their gyrations (note that John Deere sells one loader for 2wd only) and it may be necessary to brace it from one side to the other. Also works well if the bucket is about the same as the tractor rear wheels or you may find that you can only go so far into a pile.

People seldom buy a 4:1 bucket unless they plan to put some high loads on the bucket, plus they are heavy and that reduces the actual loads you can handle. Most tractors are pretty poor bulldozers. One of the common warranty turndowns on John Deere is bolts broken holding the loader to the frame according to a local dealer.

I am sure you have looked into being sure that the tractor has the mid mount type quick connects for a loader or do they tie into the rear SCV valves?

I couldn't get the picture to work /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif .

/ Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor #6  
Golly, jgh, I thought one JimBinMI was enough. But your <font color=blue>TN90F</font color=blue> ought to be a pretty nice tractor for second best./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif And while the Alo/Quicke sounds impressive, I'm like Wen; I'll probably always try to stay with OEM loaders. I figure it's pretty unlikely, but if I ever do have a problem with a tractor and/or loader, I only want to have to deal with one manufacturer and dealer.

Bird

2000-06-09
[BTW, although the tractor came from MI, I'm in VA. 2nd best--my PTO! Sorry about the picture, thought I did it right]

Let me try to talk about both Wen and Bird's comments.

Here is the big one.

I agree with you on the OEM issue, even though the undistinguished rep of SMC that makes NH loaders does not warm my TimTaylor heart. Only one problem, NH does not make a loader for this tractor! You heard right! The 33LA that fits the TN/TNS, et al, will not work, they say. So it is 3rd party or none.

The 7108 factory loader on my Ford 1720 is faultless after 12 years.

Much is not detailed on the www site beyond basic specs as you have seen. The Alo/Quicke guys sell complete hydraulics kits that tie into the power beyond capability on the TNF just past the pump, providing up to 4 scvs. The OEM remote setup is 2 lever controlled scvs in the rear, with no factory joystick and very little room for one in this cab. There is a Bosch pump with implement flow of either 17 or 19 gpm, depending on whether you go by the manual or the sales literature.

On the specs, I believe most mfrs now use either the SAE (automobile engrs) or ASAE (ag engrs) stds, with ASAE resulting in slightly higher numbers if I am not mistaken. Careful reading is definitely important I agree.

I believe the issue with Alo and my tractor is one of stability due to its narrowness at minimum setting (about 58 inches!). As I said before, the TNF is lower, heavier (6300#) and longer (about 150 inches) than the TN/TND/S series, but the narrower is what worries their lawyers I'll wager. Alo and Woods both say they have had the TNF in their shops and that they make specific subframes for it, though I noted in the dealer's book that Alo specifies the same one for the TN and TNF tractors.

The 4 in one bucket has become popular around here, esp on compacts, but it is only a consideration at this point, not definite. You are right, it is not a bulldozer, but for clamshelling things up from the ground it is reputed to work well. And with 2500-3000# of full height lift capacity, a few extra #s does not worry me too much. Further comments?

Wen, are you saying that bolts have actually been sheared due to too high a load on a loader frame? Wow, but better bolts than blocks or bell housings (saw one of those busted in the dealer's shop, ouch).

The TNF wheels can be set from 58 to about 70+ inches, so I plan on a 72 inch bucket. For safe loader and backhoe work, all the folks I have spoken to say keep the tires out more so than in. The Supersteer (turns 76 degrees) front axle presents its own set of issues for a loader as well.

Anyone have any experience on the Woods loaders? Bush Hog is not making any loaders that fit the Supersteer New Hollands, but the product manager there was really helpful on cutters, etc.

I'm gonna try the picture again. Thanks, gentlemen,

Jim

/ Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor #8  
Sorry about that. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I had the same problems with NH when I was buying my tractor and wound up getting the M6800 Kubota. It is about the same size as the TN90 and has the same turning radius in 2WD as the Super Steer. I commented to the NH dealer about not showing any Loaders in the larger tractor brochures and he told me they preferred the Brand X Loader. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

My Kubota M6800 is configured with water/antifreeze (non-toxic) in all tires with loader puts weight at about 8000# and width with tires set to first notch out is approx 77 inches. I would set the wheels out as far as possible, but I would be a little skeptical that you can lift 3000# to full height. I assume the tractor is 4WD since it has super steer. I couldn't find any good dimensions in the NH brochures, but I would assume that any reputable loader manufacturer would work with you to get the best combination loader set up.

Basically, believe no one on loader specs unless they state specifically how they measure lift capacity. There is much variance between major manufacturers. The bucket weight is sometimes included in the numbers and sometimes not. Yes, It is much harder to find loaders for the Narrow tractors, although very little is different except the wheel spacing, so you may lose a lot of the advantages of the narror tractor when you adapt a standard loader to the narror tractor. The good news is that you can remove it when you don't need it. Kubota is the same way in that the loader will fit the narrow model, but they give no information and don't recommend it.

Another problem with the CAB tractors is that the loader control really needs to be a joystick that is mounted to the right of the seat and then plumbed forward of the cab with the hydraulic lines, otherwise you can't even get out the right door for the loader controls.

You will probably wind up sacraficing some performance to get a loader that will work properly with the super steer since you have to clear the front wheels and while the reach is increased the over turning moment on the tractor is also increased. The really scary part is that NH recommends only 7716 pounds on the TN90F FWD Cab. With a 2000# loader & bucket and 2400# in the tires you are going to be pushing that limit quickly. They usually don't even include your weight in the tractor numbers. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Didn't get that picture either.

/ Loaders, Woods & Alo/Quicke for NH TN90F tractor #9  
I came across a Great Bend catalog (they were bought by Woods) and they make loaders for the Narrow Series NH tractors also. Guess it is hard to say Narrow and Stable in the same breath! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

2000-06-16

Hello, again.
I have had some conversations with a NH dealer (or so I think) on the CTB about my TNF, and have learned a bit more from local sources.

The TNF is OK for a loader, as the manual refers to permissable wts with a loader installed. According to the dealer salesman, he and the NH service rep found the page in the manual listing that the front axle can handle 7000 lbs with a loader installed.

Still wondering if there is any real reason not to go for the longer reach loader, the Q930 instead of the 920. The mounting hardware is the same.

One NH dealer I spoke to on the phone alluded to real difficulties putting an Alo loader on this tractor, even using the proper size and subframe, etc. Is it std procedure to have to cut and chop and weld to get a loader on a given tractor, esp in the ag line, as this guy hinted? Certainly I see no evidence that was done on my 1720 with its 7108 loader.

Anyone hear any more on the Alo/Quicke. I hear nothing but good so far.

Can't wait to get this show on the road and thanks to all of you, Wen especially.

Jim