hay elevator

/ hay elevator #1  

barticus73

Silver Member
Clarksburg, Pa(Between Indiana and Saltsburg Pa)
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7272,Farmall 544
I am looking to buy a hay elevator to make unloading and stacking my hay easier. I see the 'portable' ones at Tractor Supply. They don't have wheels or anything so what do you do, just lay the thing on your hay pile and move it as you go higher? Can you buy the adjustable frame with wheels to add to them? If not, what companies make the elevators with the adjustable wheel mounted frame?

Thanx,

Jerry

/ hay elevator #2  
Here in southern MN, a 30 - 40 foot hay elevator on wheels will sell for about $400 used. That beats the heck out of even a short 12' long new one........

--->Paul

/ hay elevator #3  

I see them at every auction this time of year. Get on the mailing lists so you can get a shot at one. Gas engine, electric, etc, choices.

For example Ownby Auctions has one on April 8 in Waterford, VA, nearer to PA than to me, that has a 34 ft elevator. See www.Ownbyco.com

Happy looking,

Jim

/ hay elevator #4  
it all really depends what you want to do.

For my setup, a framed elevator isn't an option/is more work.

I back the hay wagon/truck up to the hay door, drop the elevator into the back of the truck/wagon and load away. It goes straight from the top of the truck into the hay loft.

If I used a framed wheeled one I would have to throw it to the ground, onto the elevator and up.

I have a framed, wheeled elevator and it's sitting in a back field not getting used atm. I much prefer using the portable one.

/ hay elevator #5  
I found one many years ago through the paper. It was originally a grain elevator. On wheels, about 30 feet, adjustable, runs off my tractors PTO. It is a 2 person job, one loading the hay, the other watching out not to get smashed at the stacking end! Even at SLOW speed, it is way faster than we expected.

Picked it up for about 150 bucks. It is used maybe 2 times a year. Other times, I guess I could hang x-Mas lights on it.

Is it worth it? Yes, when I am stacking hay in the loft. Would I buy those new fangled ones, nah.... the old stuff is way simple and looks to be more durable.

-Mike Z.