Backhoe Valve Lever Bolt Keeps Snapping

/ Backhoe Valve Lever Bolt Keeps Snapping #1  

toddwulf

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 New Holland 1920
I've got a NH 757C Backhoe on a 1920. The bolt that connects the hydraulics to the right hand operator lever is long enough so that tremendous stress is applied on the bolt when activating the lever. This controls bucket in/out movement. I snapped the bolt this weekend and it looks like it may be a normal bolt the previous owner had replaced. I can see, when the lever is moved, the bolt bend a little and it eventually snaps at the stress point. I went through 3 this weekend. Is there a special type bolt assy. I am
supposed to use that can take the stress? I think it's about 1/4" or 5/16" and a 2" length enables a nut on either side of the hydraulic valve. Still functions but a pain in the butt.

Todd

'98 NH 1920 4x4

/ Backhoe Valve Lever Bolt Keeps Snapping
Post Mortem - I took the original snapped bolt down and found out there are different hardness bolts. From Grade 1 or 2 (weakest) to a grade 10. I ended up getting some of the grade 8 bolts and will see how much they flex and last as opposed to what I picked up at the local hardware store. Eventually, I suspect I'll have to get down to the NH dealer to get the specific bolt assy. called for but maybe I'll get lucky. .73 cents for four bolts is worth the experiment.

Todd

'98 NH 1920 4x4