Drill Bits

/ Drill Bits #21  
Harv,

That is the same poster my neighbor has in his shop garage. He's a transplant from the LA area. Works for the remnants of Fairchild Aerospace. We used that chart a couple of weekends ago working on a project. Too cool!!

Terry

/ Drill Bits #22  
Thats an old phone #. I think those type of numbers came after, picking up the phone and saying "Margaret can you get Sams feed store please".

Doug T B1700 TLB

/ Drill Bits #23  
That's not an "old" phone number. We were still using that kind of number until just recently; at least until the late '60s - or was it the early '70s?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

And I wish the drill bits were my only concern. The motor just died on my 6 year old drill press and the electric motor repair shop said it would be cheaper to buy a new motor than to repair this one. I found it would also be cheaper to buy a complete new drill press than to buy a new motor./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ Drill Bits #24  
<font color=blue>cheaper to buy a complete new drill press</font color=blue>

But as you well know, the new one may not be the quality of the old one. I'd take a really close look at the new one before plunking down the cash. A new motor might still be the way to go. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Drill Bits #25  
<font color=blue>new one may not be the quality of the old one</font color=blue>

I certainly understand that, Harv, however I'm afraid it doesn't apply in this case (quality wasn't one of the old one's features/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). Fortunately I can't lose too much since the old one was about the smallest, cheapest thing Tractor Supply Co. had at the time, with a supposedly 1/2hp, brushless, Chinese made motor. And the company that made it is one Tractor Supply Co. no longer does business with. Their new one is actually $10 cheaper than what I paid for the old one 6 years ago, and looks to be even better, except it's a smaller 1/3hp motor. I decided to take my time and look around a little more before I buy anything though.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Drill Bits #26  
I'll post a reply to one of my own messages./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif When my 6 year old Tractor Supply Co. Chinese made drill press motor wouldn't run a couple of weeks ago, I took it apart, checked the switch, wiring, connections, etc.; never could find anything wrong (it wasn't even dirty inside), but also never could make it run. So . . ., I took it to a local electric motor repair shop. The guy called the next day to tell me it had a couple of major problems (didn't say what they were) and that I could buy a new motor cheaper than they could fix that one. I shopped around for motors and drill presses and figured I could buy a whole new drill press cheaper than I could buy a motor alone, but didn't buy anything. So I left the old motor, disassembled, and all the other parts in a box sitting in the shop figuring I'd haul it off someday.

However, I got to thinking that if I ever have a garage sale, some fool would probably give me $4 or $5 for it for parts. So this morning, I re-assembled everything and put it back together. I started to walk off, but then just on a whim, I plugged it in, hit the switch, and to my surprise . . ., it works fine! I turned it on and off several times and can't make it malfunction. Now if it were computer controlled, I would expect that, but I've gone completely through that thing and can't find a computer anywhere in it./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I guess it's just got to be those darned gremlins again./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ Drill Bits #28  
Harv, you'd probably have better luck with an exorcism for that VCR than for me to take it apart./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ Drill Bits #29  
HRMUTT--

Have you or anyone ever tried using those drill bit sharpeners? Saw one in Sams for about 30-40 dollars. Was thinking of buying one, but wondered if they worked.

/ Drill Bits #30  
<font color=blue>wondered if they worked</font color=blue>

Sometimes. Don't know what you were looking at, but there's quite an assortment on the market. The Drill Doctor may be one of the better ones. Some are adjustable to put a different angle on the tip; some are not. I've got about a $25 gadget (I bought mine elsewhere, but Sears also has them) that's adjustable, and I bolt it down in front of the bench grinder and sharpen mine. It's better'n nuthin' but I wouldn't say it's great. Of course, the operator might be part of the problem./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif