drum vs. disc mower

/ drum vs. disc mower #1  

vmarc

Would those who know please be kind enough to discuss the differences between a drum and disc mower?Any advantages.......disadvantages to either?

/ drum vs. disc mower
Would those who know please be kind enough to discuss the differences between a drum and disc mower?Any advantages.......disadvantages to either?

/ drum vs. disc mower #3  

See Wiki notes for a consise but confounding explanation. I had heard of the term drum mower, but until you asked the question, did not know it was the same as a disc mower. Every picture I have seen heretofore of a drum mower has been a covered up one, but the wiki page tells as well as shows.

The cover on the disc/drum mower prevents flying rock chips, etc, from ruining someone's day, but I would keep in mind that if the machine throws a significant section of blade, the guard cover will likely not stop it. Make sure no one is nearby. Not a problem with sickle cutters, the alternative to discs. See wiki details.

I like my NH 1411 disc mower conditioner. I guess some would call it a drum mower. By any name mine cuts almost like a finisher.

HTW,

Jim

btw, say hi to Kevin and his family at The Homeplace at 779 & 311 just W of Botetourt. I grew up in Salem, and our restaurant is modeled after theirs with their help. -J

/ drum vs. disc mower #4  

See Wiki notes for a consise but confounding explanation. I had heard of the term drum mower, but until you asked the question, did not know it was the same as a disc mower. Every picture I have seen heretofore of a drum mower has been a covered up one, but the wiki page tells as well as shows.

The cover on the disc/drum mower prevents flying rock chips, etc, from ruining someone's day, but I would keep in mind that if the machine throws a significant section of blade, the guard cover will likely not stop it. Make sure no one is nearby. Not a problem with sickle cutters, the alternative to discs. See wiki details.

I like my NH 1411 disc mower conditioner. I guess some would call it a drum mower. By any name mine cuts almost like a finisher.

HTW,

Jim

btw, say hi to Kevin and his family at The Homeplace at 779 & 311 just W of Botetourt. I grew up in Salem, and our restaurant is modeled after theirs with their help. -J

/ drum vs. disc mower
Thanks for the reply.CC Machinery has a pic. of a drum mower under the skirt.Cutters seem to be the same as a disk ,but the mounting is different.Disc seems to be mounted on a bar,drum mounted on on a drum type thing hanging down from a bar.The drum mower seems less expensive than the disk......

I lived not far from the Home Place 8 years ago and went there often.Great concept,all you can eat,home style,limited menu,great friendly service,located on a wonderful old farm.under 10 bucks a person.Hope you are as successful.

/ drum vs. disc mower
Thanks for the reply.CC Machinery has a pic. of a drum mower under the skirt.Cutters seem to be the same as a disk ,but the mounting is different.Disc seems to be mounted on a bar,drum mounted on on a drum type thing hanging down from a bar.The drum mower seems less expensive than the disk......

I lived not far from the Home Place 8 years ago and went there often.Great concept,all you can eat,home style,limited menu,great friendly service,located on a wonderful old farm.under 10 bucks a person.Hope you are as successful.

/ drum vs. disc mower #7  
I assume you're going to be cutting hay, and either will suffice. In my limited experience, the drum mowers are older technology, as the disc mowers seem to be an evolutionary step up from the drum..

My cousin has had a drum mower for a few years, and has since moved on to a disc mower. One reason is we kept tearing up the drum mower (busted housing, bearings, etc.) The disc mower seems less complicated and more sturdy - but is more expensive..

Hope that helps...SM

/ drum vs. disc mower #8  
I assume you're going to be cutting hay, and either will suffice. In my limited experience, the drum mowers are older technology, as the disc mowers seem to be an evolutionary step up from the drum..

My cousin has had a drum mower for a few years, and has since moved on to a disc mower. One reason is we kept tearing up the drum mower (busted housing, bearings, etc.) The disc mower seems less complicated and more sturdy - but is more expensive..

Hope that helps...SM

/ drum vs. disc mower
Thanks for the info .Yes it helps .Those drums hanging down do look vulnerable.The price of the drum mower is attractive......but not if there's a ton of maintenance.I'm reluctantly getting into hay making.Can't find anyone to hay on shares.about 40-50 acres of hay .I only want enough for my horses,500 square bales or so.I offered the operator to take the rest in round or square whatever he wanted to do.Can't give it away.They sure want top dollar if you want to buy it though.I can't figure it out.

/ drum vs. disc mower
Thanks for the info .Yes it helps .Those drums hanging down do look vulnerable.The price of the drum mower is attractive......but not if there's a ton of maintenance.I'm reluctantly getting into hay making.Can't find anyone to hay on shares.about 40-50 acres of hay .I only want enough for my horses,500 square bales or so.I offered the operator to take the rest in round or square whatever he wanted to do.Can't give it away.They sure want top dollar if you want to buy it though.I can't figure it out.