Disc or drum mower to buy??

/ Disc or drum mower to buy?? #1  

Carl1

Tractor
IH 574 and IH424,Ih3414 loader
Looking to replace my 1209 moco. Is a disc better then a drum mower?
my tractor is only a 52 hp IH. any advice would be apprecated.

/ Disc or drum mower to buy?? #2  
Either will work. Try a demo before you buy there are advantages to both. I had a CIH disc mower that was shaft drive. It seemed easier to pull as far as horse power. I dont rtemember the number but it had 6 blade holders. Probably 7 ft 9 inches or so.

/ Disc or drum mower to buy?? #3  
Carl1 said:
Looking to replace my 1209 moco. Is a disc better then a drum mower?
my tractor is only a 52 hp IH. any advice would be apprecated.

Our new disc mowers by First Choice are $4995 for the 6 disc (8ft). 5 1/2 ft drum mowers are ok, just a little less on the acres per hour that can be cut in addition to being heavy in the transport position (fully extended to the rear of the tractor)--Ken Sweet

Email sweet@scrtc.com
Phone 270-528-3323-mon-fri-8-5-cst

/ Disc or drum mower to buy?? #4  
Like Sweet I'll recommend the Fort First Choice models. Choose your size. I have run one for going on 4 years now with the only problem being a driveshaft yoke. That was my fault. I hit a guywire and overextended the mower, before I could shut it down it had wallowed out the yoke. I have cut about 1000 4x4 rolls and 3000 squares with it. Of all the equipment I have bought it would rank at or near the top in both reliability and value.

/ Disc or drum mower to buy?? #5  
I bout the 8' Fort Disc Mower from Ken a few years back and have had absolutley no trouble with it at all. Really makes cutting hay go very smoothly and leaves a nice looking field in the end that seems to green up pretty quick.

/ Disc or drum mower to buy?? #6  
If you are looking to get a conditionor too you are very limited with 52 hp. I only know of a couple of machines, a NH 408 or the narrowest shaft drive agco models and even then if you are in hills its a no go.