Time for a round baler... need opinions

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #1  

Birdman

Silver Member
I have an 8 acre hay field and can get another 3 acre field if I want it. I went to the local NH dealer (5 miles) to look at used balers but then found out NH has some great deals going on until the end of August. I can get a new NH BR740 for $13,000. Then I came across a used Claas, 2001 model 45 Rollant less than 500 bales, for $9,200, but the owner is willing to come down some. Nearest Claas dealer is about 25 miles. I also would like to consider a Vermeer, but the nearest dealer is over 50 miles away. So I would like opinions. Is that a good deal for the NH? Should I check out the Vermeer? Are Claas balers dependable? Any other advice on round balers? Thanks

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #2  
I have a Claas 46, which is the same as the 45 but it has afew more bells and whistles. I bought mine well used and have had it about 5 years now.The only money that I have spent on it is new twine knives which were about 20 bucks and a metal hydraulic line that cracked. I think that it cost aabout 45.I have probably put up 1000 or more bales in the time I have had it. I thinkn they are one of the most dependable balers out there. Their disadvantage and that is why many people don't care for them is they are a fixed chamber baler and the bales are not as dense and solid as the belt balers which are variable chamber balers. The plus side to the fixed chamber balers are that they will bale about anything! A friend has a 45 and he has baled corn stalks with his! They will bale baleage where most belt balers won't unless they are specially designed to. I also think that you can bale at a slightly higher moisture content with the fixed chamber because they will let the hay dry some in the bale without spoilage. The price sounds good for a 45 that has few bales on it. My friend paid about 13,500 or so for his about six years ago. I think that the Vermeer Rebel baler is about 12,000 or so now. Krone has a fixed chamber baler that sells for about 12,500 or so too. There is not many balers in that price range anymore.

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #3  
My son has a Vermeer baler (5400) and loves it. Vermeer pioneered round balers. No one does it BETTER. New Holland has had a shining history in hay equipment. Claas is a big name in Europe and gaining ground here. Can't say anything bad about them. Deere has a good rep too.

I'd price the Vermeer just for comparison. Look around your area and see which is most common "in the field". That usually means a lot too.

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions
floridahay
Can you shed some more light on the fixed chamber? I have no knowledge when it comes to round balers. Does loser bales mean more problems when trying to stack them 2 or 3 high in the barn? Any other concerns with fixed chamber?

Farmwithjunk
I called the Vermeer dealer this morning , he is sending me some info. Around here most round balers I see are NH, I guess in part due to having a local dealer.

Any one have an opinion on the NH BR740 for $13,000? Is this a good deal? Any issues with this model? Thanks

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #5  
I'll try to explain the difference in the fixed chamber and variable chamber. With the fixed chamber the chamber for the bale that the hay is fed into stays the same and the core is soft and the outside gets progressively harder as the chamber get fuller. This soft core is what makes it a looser bale, it also helps to keep mold down if the hay is baled a little high in moisture because it can still "breathe" to some extent since it is not baled tight. With the variable chamber baler the chamber starts out very small and grows as the hay is fed into the chamber. It is rolled as a jellyroll is rolled up in layers.Some differences in using the balers are that the variable chamber balers require more skill in making good looking bales. You have to weave from one side to the other to keep the hay fed evenly to both side or you will have a lopsided bale. This can be overcome to some extent by having the windrow the same width as the baler pickup. With the fixed chamber baler the bales tend to come out pretty even from one side to the other because the material is tumbled around in the chamber and levels its self out from side to side usually. Most people like the variable chamber because they do make prettier bales but most agree that the fixed chamber require less maintenance and repairs. From what i have read fixed chambers are more popular in Europe than over here. Claas and Krone are very big over there from whatt I read. Hope this helps you. One of the most important things is the dealer network that you have for parts and service. Any of the brands are very good now. In this area Vermeer never has been very big, probably because of no dealer network. I know they are very good balers and were the first to develope the round baler as someone has said. If I can help you anyway please don't hesitate to ask!

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #6  
Does it make sense to spend $13,000 for machine that is used only on 8, or 11 acres? That would maybe amount to a hour to two hours of baling. IMO that doesn't add up.

As far as New Holland goes, I think they are a good machine. Dad and my brother have New Holland Round Bailer on the ranch, but I have never been around it during its operation.

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #7  
It all depends on how you operate them too but some folk get a little less spoilage from soft core balers since the outer skin is so tight, but offseting that is the variable chamber ones pack more hay inside so the outside spoilage still leaves hay inside that is good. All this matters not for inside storage of hay.

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #8  
You probably can't go wrong with any of the brands you have mentioned. People around here swear by either Vermeer or New Holland. I had a neighbor who had a Claas and it stayed in the machine shop all the time; however, all his equipment was like that. He knew only two speeds; stopped or wide open.

That sounds like a pretty good price on the NH. I'm not sure about the new numbers, but I believe that is their small baler. I sold a NH 650 baler this week, a 10 year old machine, for $7100. NH hay equipment holds its resale value very well.

Lindblom LC, whoever said it had to make sense?:) If it had to make sense, most of us wouldn't own even a tractor.

Mark

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #9  
I don't know how any baler could be simpler than the Vermeer Rebels! I bought one new 3 years ago and have put up about 400 rolls every year with 0 problems. This was my first round baler. $13000 is about the base amount for the small round balers.
The plus to non fixed chamber balers is variable sizes, e.g 4x4 or 4x5!

/ Time for a round baler... need opinions #10  
I am also new to the hay making end and recently priced a New Holland 740 and was told the base unit was low $20K, the next size smaller (730) was in that $13K range, it only baled 4x4 bales, twine wrap (no net). I went to a Hay Day in July and saw a New Holland 740 with net wrap, silage special, and x-tra wide pick up- dealer said it was in the $29500 range. I felt the New Holland 730 might do the trick in a horse hay market and only need smaller equipment to move bales around. For now I will borrow a friends New Holland 648 and dream. Good luck in your decision.