New Idea Corn Picker....

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #1  

Tobync

Tractor
JD 5205 mfwd
Howdy all, I'm looking to get a one or two row corn picker(snapper). I'm leaning toward a NI 323 or 324. I was just wondering about other folks thoughts on either of these two, or any other models. I've got 4-5 acres planted. Thanks Toby

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #2  
I don't know if I can help you about the different models but I have always heard that the New Ides was about the best corn picker. I have used an old Ford and was pleased with the job that it did. One big plus with the New Idea was that it was pulled by the drawbar and was easy to hook and unhook. The Ford was a mounted picker and was much harder to hook and unhook. I don't know about the parts availability but New Idea is now owned by Agco.

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #3  
Be aware of the row spacing of the picker if you find a two row.Most of the pickers had spacings of 36-40"and that will not work very well with 30" planted corn(which is what most modern planters are set at)The row spacing is why I have seen most of the pickers priced very cheap.There are some narrow row ones out there but they are not very common.New Idea pickers were considered the best by most of the old timers,and were the most common brand.

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #4  
You can probably find one at Meekins Auction down in Lumberton. Call and ask for Mickey or Roger.

/ New Idea Corn Picker....
Thanks for the replys , I didn't know about the spaceing on the 2 rows, hadn't even given it much thought. I have been in touch with "Meekins" they have (3) 2 rows, a little more then I have to put into one, but as one man told me , you can "pay upfront, or pay when you fix it". Thanks for all the info .

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #6  
Regarding the wide-row versus narrow-row issue, has anyone tried it? I have also heard that 30 inch rows need narrow row pickers, but I just talked to a farmer who said that the wide-row picker worked fine for him. He did say that he was using the sheller attachment, so I wonder if this somehow has an effect on his judgement about how well a wide-row picker picks on 30 inch rows.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #7  
Also, do the various models of new idea corn pickers work with the same sheller bed attachment?

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #8  
Regarding the wide-row versus narrow-row issue, has anyone tried it? I have also heard that 30 inch rows need narrow row pickers, but I just talked to a farmer who said that the wide-row picker worked fine for him. He did say that he was using the sheller attachment, so I wonder if this somehow has an effect on his judgement about how well a wide-row picker picks on 30 inch rows.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

I bought an old NI wide row picker for $30. The fella planted in 30 inch rows, and the wide-row picker did not work out for him. He had taken the inner gathering chains off, said that helped some, but still didn't work well.

It does work a bit to make silage using the wrong size header.

but you have to understand, the stalk is dead when you pick ear corn. Hit it off 4 or more inches _all_ the time, and it will bend forward and break off, or the ear will shake out of the husk off to the side & in the ground.

Some will say it works, but it doesn't work well for mature corn.

--->Paul

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #9  
ALong the lines of the corn pickers.....what kind of horsepower do you need for one?

/ New Idea Corn Picker.... #10  
I have 2 2 row NI pickers for $1000 each. They both need a little oil and greased and chains adjusted. 38-40 inch row spacing. Take $1800 for both. Ken Sweet