Odd ball question about steps

/ Odd ball question about steps #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
I'm writing a mystery short story. In it, I have a man climbing up on an old Farmall tractor. I'd like to be able to say that the step was made with the punch through holes to improve grip. Would I be right?

If I'm wrong, what brand would have used that style step for a smaller AG tractor from, say, the 50's or60's.. Allis? Deere?

Cliff

/ Odd ball question about steps #2  
Cliff_Johns said:
I'm writing a mystery short story. In it, I have a man climbing up on an old Farmall tractor. I'd like to be able to say that the step was made with the punch through holes to improve grip. Would I be right?

If I'm wrong, what brand would have used that style step for a smaller AG tractor from, say, the 50's or60's.. Allis? Deere?

Cliff

2-cylinder Deere's had a step that was on the back of the axle housing that had punched holes around it's outer edge.

/ Odd ball question about steps #3  
The JD Two Cylinder club has them stocked at the shows & advertised in the magazine. They run about $50.

/ Odd ball question about steps
Thanks guys,
I guess I'll make it a small two cylindar JD.
Cliff

/ Odd ball question about steps #5  
Cliff_Johns said:

Cliff

Cliff, I don't know if I've ever told you, but both my wife and I are avid SF/Fantasy/Mystery readers, and if you are ever looking for proofreaders, we'd love to do that for you.

Dave

/ Odd ball question about steps
DaveNay said:
Cliff, I don't know if I've ever told you, but both my wife and I are avid SF/Fantasy/Mystery readers, and if you are ever looking for proofreaders, we'd love to do that for you.
Dave

Well thanks, Dave. I may take you up on that. I have this 4,378 page novel in progress . . .

:)

Cliff

/ Odd ball question about steps #7  
Cliff_Johns said:

Cliff

Some 55+ fords have perfed metal running boards.. and the 5000 does have a step and perfed running board.. would be 60's ere though for the 5000.

I know fords may not be 'showy' enough though...

Soundguy

/ Odd ball question about steps #8  
Cliff_Johns said:

Cliff

Allis Chalmers D-Series Tractors from the late 50's thru 1960's had punched holes in the operator's platform.

/ Odd ball question about steps #9  
Cliff_Johns said:
Well thanks, Dave. I may take you up on that. I have this 4,378 page novel in progress . . .

Cliff

Hi Cliff,
Glad to see you havent lost your sense of humor :)

/ Odd ball question about steps #10  
Cliff_Johns said:

Cliff

What do you call it.. 'the history of the world'? And the last few chapters cover ag improvements of the last 200ys and the advent of tracors? (grin)

Soundguy