Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4110

Default Odd ball question about steps

I'm writing a mystery short story. In it, I have a man climbing up on an old Farmall tractor. I'd like to be able to say that the step was made with the punch through holes to improve grip. Would I be right?

If I'm wrong, what brand would have used that style step for a smaller AG tractor from, say, the 50's or60's.. Allis? Deere?

Cliff

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Default Re: Odd ball question about steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff_Johns
    I'm writing a mystery short story. In it, I have a man climbing up on an old Farmall tractor. I'd like to be able to say that the step was made with the punch through holes to improve grip. Would I be right?

If I'm wrong, what brand would have used that style step for a smaller AG tractor from, say, the 50's or60's.. Allis? Deere?

Cliff
    2-cylinder Deere's had a step that was on the back of the axle housing that had punched holes around it's outer edge.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Tractor
    JD, Allis-Chalmers, Zetor

The JD Two Cylinder club has them stocked at the shows & advertised in the magazine. They run about $50.

Tractor
    JD 4110

Thanks guys,
    I guess I'll make it a small two cylindar JD.
    Cliff

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas

Cliff
    Cliff, I don't know if I've ever told you, but both my wife and I are avid SF/Fantasy/Mystery readers, and if you are ever looking for proofreaders, we'd love to do that for you.

Dave
    Since I gave up hope, I feel much better.

Tractor
    JD 4110

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNay
    Cliff, I don't know if I've ever told you, but both my wife and I are avid SF/Fantasy/Mystery readers, and if you are ever looking for proofreaders, we'd love to do that for you.
    Dave
    Well thanks, Dave. I may take you up on that. I have this 4,378 page novel in progress . . .

:-)

Cliff

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Cliff
    Some 55+ fords have perfed metal running boards.. and the 5000 does have a step and perfed running board.. would be 60's ere though for the 5000.

I know fords may not be 'showy' enough though...

Soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota M95s, Allis Chalmers 185 & D17 series IV, Kubota ZG-23 Mower, Kawasaki Mule 610

Cliff
    Allis Chalmers D-Series Tractors from the late 50's thru 1960's had punched holes in the operator's platform.

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Well thanks, Dave. I may take you up on that. I have this 4,378 page novel in progress . . .

Cliff
    Hi Cliff,
    Glad to see you havent lost your sense of humor
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Cliff
    What do you call it.. 'the history of the world'? And the last few chapters cover ag improvements of the last 200ys and the advent of tracors? (grin)

Soundguy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast