Gold Member
    Tractor
    jd h, jd 50, jd2010,jd 790,case530hoe

Default krone 3pt disc mower

anyone running a krone 3pt disc mower? was looking at one to possibly replace my old jd sickle. they are the only brand to run a direct pto drive instead of a belt. they also offer a 3pt model w/ a conditioner. just was wondering anyones thoughts on them, i was also looking at the claas 3pt discs as well but, my only worry if i was to get one would be parts, both those brands have dealers that are about 50 miles away. i'd love a moco but some of the fields i hay are a bit narrow, so i think i'll just have to stick w/ a disc or sickle and a seperate conditioner. thats why when i saw the krone and claas w/ the 3pt disc and conditioner i was thinking that would make my life a whole lot better.

Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    Tractor
    JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055

Default Re: krone 3pt disc mower

A Krone mower is a premium mower and does a fine job. Krone is not the first to use the direct drive system. In the 1970's PZ used the direct drive system. There are 2 disadvantages to the direct drive system vs. the belt drive system. The direct drive system is more expensive to manufacture and requires an extra clutch system & one more gearbox the belt systems does not require. The direct drive system weighs more than the belt system. The reliability is the same for both systems but the direct drive system is more expensive to repair.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

I have run both a Claas direct drive drum mower, and recently a belt driven Krone KM 202 disc mower.
    The claas is indestructible, the slip clutch with freewheel is wonderful when gearing up on the long lanes and slow down to save sods on the headlands. I put it aside because i felt the blade mounting hooks put my life at risk.

The Krone was priced higher when new, very good machine but there are better machines for less money.

Tractor
    IH 574 and IH424,Ih3414 loader

Food for thought,

KISS-- keep it simple stupid. The more parts involved the more chance it will break. thats why belts are still being used. easy to replace.
    thats my two bits

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota m125x

amongs other machinery i run a krone am283s (well thats what its called here in australia anyway). 7 disc 3pl mower, it has operated flawlessly, around 2 year old now, about 4000 bales a year (i contract with it). good cut and the quick release blade is an excellent system.