Tree stumps and farming

/ Tree stumps and farming #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I have cut down some trees. Stumps about 6-12 inches. In order for the guy who farms my land to start planting in this area, what do I need to do with this stump?
Bob

/ Tree stumps and farming #3  
We had several stumps on our place hit w/ a stump grinder. They usually grind the stump down to about 4 inches BELOW ground level. As long as you arent' pulling a heavy disk or ripping shanks, most equipment will go over it. If you have several stumps it might get a little expensive. I was charged ~$20 per stump and couple of them were feet in diameter. Of course, you could do what the previous owner of some of my land did: drive a piece of rebar in each stump and top it with a Dr. Pepper can.

/ Tree stumps and farming
hudr said:
Of course, you could do what the previous owner of some of my land did: drive a piece of rebar in each stump and top it with a Dr. Pepper can.

So mark it clearly until it is removed?
Bob

Egon said:
Remove it!:D

I wish I had some dynamite! I wish there was an easy way to do it with my tractor.
Bob

/ Tree stumps and farming #6  
I'm not sure if this counts as easy, but I've got a lot of stumps too - I dig them out with a backhoe and root grapple. Or you can pay a guy with an excavator to come do it.

Its easier if you leave the stumps tall for leverage - I cut them at 5 feet, and then cut again once its out.

Charlesaf3 said:
I'm not sure if this counts as easy, but I've got a lot of stumps too - I dig them out with a backhoe and root grapple.

I don't have a BH (would like one :D ).
Bob

/ Tree stumps and farming #8  
It takes patience to dig out a stump.

Start digging along side the stump to cut as many roots as possible and then switch to the other side and keep on tryin till it comes. If they are large ones it may take larger equipment.

/ Tree stumps and farming #10  
I have read in the Farm Show magazine about placing a used washing machine cabinet around a stump and then burning the stump. The metal washing machine cabinet acts like a flue controlling cooling, lessening sparks, and providing air flow from bottom to top so the fire burns all the wood.
I have made a homemade stump grinder from a silage blower it broke and I am working on a second version.