Why do Diesels last longer than IC's?

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #11  
Re: Why do Diesels last longer than IC\'s?

On those car diesels GM put out even the dealers didn't want them back on a trade in.

Egon

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #12  

A friend of mine had one of the GM diesels in the early 80s. It constantly had problems. When it came time for the rebuild, he opted for a gas engine. Well, he didn't change the stickers on the fuel gauge or the fill door and twice he let people borrow his car and as a token of their appreciation, they filled it with diesel. Talk about a smoking mess! He'd have to drain the entire fuel system. He finally got rid of it.

My guess as to why diesels last longer would be that they are lower RPM and the fuel is more like a lubricant than gas, as stated earlier.

As far as efficiency goes, while diesels might get better fuel mileage, they put out far more pollutants. I'll bet we see a big crackdown on diesels in the next 5-10 years. What do all of you think?

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #13  

MossRoad:
More emmissions.
Also you only get 25% as much diesel from a barrel of crude as you do gasoline.
But I still like diesels.

Egon

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #14  
About those Olds 350 diesels

Batten engineering in Romulus Michigan turned them in to NASCAR motors for A.J. Foyt in the mid 80's. Never did work out very well though,they weak spot was the heads. At least I got to meet A.J. ,and he told me his infamous "Double Coyote Ugly Joke"!!

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #15  

As it has been said, I think engine life is one part design and two parts operator input. I was talking with a gentleman ( more man than gentle ) who years ago had a Ford 1710, a very good tractor. After 3 years of his HARD use/abuse the engine had excessive blow by and soon totally failed. There have been others who can testify that they enjoyed thousands of hours without a hitch by proper use and care.

The old gas tractor engines that are still running after 30 - 50 years or more generally run at lower RPM's than todays gas engines. Diesel's typically have always run at lower RPM's than gas engines so longer life can be attributed to RPM's. The old gas tractors with their long stroke and lower compression ratios like diesels, except diesels have a higher compression ratios, developed their max. toqure at lower RPM than todays short stroke faster turning gas engines.

I think proper maintenance as well as preventing an engine from running hot or over heating at the keys to long life whether gas or diesel. Keep it cool the oil clean and the RPM's reasonable and any engine will usually give a long service life.

Randy

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #16  

Time to stoke the fires.
The diesel v. gasoline debate reaches nearly religious proportions, with little in the way of factual basis. A Gardner diesel in a stationary application, turning about a thousand RPM and putting out minimal power may last thirty years. That doesn't mean that a light modern diesel with high specific power output will last any more than will a good gasoline engine.
In a discussion of boat engines, where diesel people won't even speak to gas burners, David Pascoe, an experienced surveyor, argues convincingly that gasoline engines do just as well as diesel.
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/
Some of Pascoe's discussions of torque and horsepower aren't quite right, but the core evidence is pretty good. Comparable gasoline engines run about as long and are a lot cheaper to overhaul than diesel.
I have a brother who is still running a Farmall 300, that is 40 or so years old, gasoline, indeterminate hours, but well up in the thousands, which has had a carburetor problem or two, but no internal problems despite minimal maintenance. Does one engine prove anything?
I have a 13 year old Chev 350 in a boat that also has thousands of hours. It's oil pan has rusted out, but that's all. My neighbor just put in two new diesels.
Proves, I guess, that diesels don't last longer after all.
(I have both, of course. Diesels are louder, smell worse, and generally make less horsepower per pound of engine weight. Why do I like them at all?)

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #17  

Hi ya
yep ya bring up a few good points 1 being why did the older gas motors last heaps longer .someone else come up with the slow motor idea and as ya have pointed out haveing a 350 the old chev dose not have to be ringed out like a rice burner to get Hp ..Hp per Lb only in small trucks /boats/cars does that realy come in to it most things tractor/dozers etc need the extra Lb's ... ya also come up with another good point alot of people buying diesel cars forget the cost of rebuilds ,before the price rises over the last few months in NZ a diesel car was just a bit cheaper to run (fuel&rebuilds) now gas come back a bit in price but diesel stayed where it stoped so now a diesel car costs heaps more than a gas car ,i belive it's the same in the UK ,the other thing could be is bigger diesels don't stop/start like a lot of gas motors
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #18  

More pollutants yes, but that is running on diesel fuel.
A Compression Ignition engine can run on straight vegetable oils such as sunflower and canola. Exhaust smells like a thousand burnt dinners but contains virtually no toxins that are regularly found in fossil fuel emissions. The only problem is the oils coagulate at lower temps and must be preheated.

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #19  

Never heard of that. You have any links to more information?

/ Why do Diesels last longer than IC's? #20  

Hi ya
i know years ago a few were made to run on refined veg oil or bio diesel now i think deutz as/is making one to run on un refined ie the same as ya cook with .i belive a few other makers are looking the same way mainly the euro's as they have tougher laws on fumes etc (the tractor i have can run bio fuel rape oil/methanol mix but there is no bio oil for the trans that meets specks, also buy a new german chainsaw and see what they want you to run on the chain is this a taste of things to come??)on another note any one see GM's new car at the motor show??? how long will a H car last conpared to diesel/gas
catch ya
JD Kid