Year of merger

/ Year of merger #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
What year did New Holland takeover or merge with Case IH? The reason for my question is I am shopping for a replacement square baler and I was trying to pin point at what year i will be looking at a New Holland made baler and when they were the Case IH made baler.
I currently have an old IH McCormick 46 square baler and it has baled many thousand bales. Still bales good just slow. We need to buy one a little faster and had all but decided on either a MF 224 or 1835/1837. However I thought it would be worth a look at the current and past IH balers before pulling the trigger given my experience with this baler. The current Case IH New Holland offerings knotters are totally different to my current baler.
Do any particular IH offerings shine compared to others?

/ Year of merger #2  
You can go as far back as the merger between CASE & International Harvester before you'll find one made by IH. The small balers sold with CASE/IH decals were actually manufactured by AGCO. The AGCO, CASE/IH small balers implement a centerline design just like large square and round balers allowing operation directly behind a tractor. NH, Deere, and old Massey balers have a swinging tongue so they need to be repositioned from transport to operating positions. They are also wider by design. Beware of the cost of replacement parts for small square massey balers.

/ Year of merger #5  
TractorTodd said:
You can go as far back as the merger between CASE & International Harvester before you'll find one made by IH. The small balers sold with CASE/IH decals were actually manufactured by AGCO. The AGCO, CASE/IH small balers implement a centerline design just like large square and round balers allowing operation directly behind a tractor. NH, Deere, and old Massey balers have a swinging tongue so they need to be repositioned from transport to operating positions. They are also wider by design. Beware of the cost of replacement parts for small square massey balers.
Hesston manufactured the Case IH balers, this was prior to the Case-New Holland merger, while Hesston was still a part of the Fiat group. Hesston was sold to AGCO as a condition of approval of the CNH merger. I believe that New Idea was manufacturing for AGCO at one time, but am not completely sure of the dates.

Last edited:
   / Year of merger #6  
I think Ford and Fiat merged in 1992 and Case took Steyr in 1998, and Case and NH merged in 2002 ???? I'm nost so sure, i lost count with all these takeovers.

/ Year of merger #8  
Renze said:
I think Ford and Fiat merged in 1992 and Case took Steyr in 1998, and Case and NH merged in 2002 ???? I'm nost so sure, i lost count with all these takeovers.
Ford-New Holland sold to the Fiat Group, which changed the name to New Holland. Steyr became part of New Holland before the merger with Case, forming Case New Holland.

/ Year of merger #9  
IH sold the ag equipment group to Tenneco in 1984.Tenneco already owned Case and merged them together to become Case-IH.

/ Year of merger #10  
the newholland balers made now is the same balers made for the start they still use the newholland balers all the notters or the same and just about everything else they have just updated the balers with more features and changed the number like from 273 to 310 they changed the cross feeder then form 310 to 311 they really didn't change much they the 565 they changed from standard to metric bolts then back to standard all the parts still interchange just different bolts then they changed to a 5065 or something like that so when u look at a newholland baler it is a newholland baler no a rebadged product and this also goes for the round balers which all hard puts from the 640 balers like gears and rollers and the twine mechanism is still the same on the balers mae today